Record Heat hits Colorado: the hottest that it has ever been

English: I took photo in Las Animas, CO, with ...
    English: I took photo in Las Animas, CO, with Canon camera. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

With the weather forecasts for the next five days all well above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, many are wondering how hot it will get this summer. Some days, like Sunday, the only acceptable place to be is neck deep in a swimming pool full of cold water, and it looks like we are in for more days with the mercury pushing the 100 F mark. So grab some lemonade and find a pool, river, bathtub, or a five gallon bucket, because Colorado has and will continue to push temperature records in the coming weeks. How does this summer stack up to those in the past?

The hottest that it has ever been:

• A temperature of 118 F was recorded in Bennett, a town on the planes of northeastern Colorado, on July 11, 1888. This is the hottest recorded temperature in the State.
    • The hottest city in Colorado is Las Animas, a town in southeastern Colorado. The annual temperature here is 54 F, while the state average is just 45.15 F. The highest ever temperature in Las Animas was on Saturday at 114 F, matching the only other time it has been that hot in there on July 1, 1933.
    • Colorado Springs matched its record of 100 F on both Saturday and Sunday, but it has hit 100° four other times, most recently on July 24, 2003.
    • Fort Collins fell slightly short of its July 21, 2005 record temperature of 103 F on Sunday, reaching a scorching 102 F.
    • La Junta matched its record on Sunday as well, hitting 110 F, a record set on June 28, 1990
    Until this heatwave breaks, stock up on sunscreen and hit the water!

122