University Technology Fee offers students tech benefits, programs

Colorado State University students are charged $25 per semester for technology, but some may wonder what these fees specifically go to.

Ramweb, the CSU-eID wireless network and the Morgan Library computer lab all come with the University Technology Fee. It also allows students to check out laptops and other technologies. Instructional technology provided in 184 ‘General Assignment’ classrooms, lecture capture technology and Office 365 are also embedded into this fee.

“The University Technology Fee provides technology that benefits as many students as possible, regardless of college or major,” wrote Jason Huitt, one of the advisors for the University Technology Fee Advisory Board. “This is different from the college-specific ‘Charges for Technology,’ which are assessed and managed by each individual college.”

Each college has its own benefits. For example, the journalism department allows students to check out photography and video equipment if they are enrolled in specific production classes or have been in the past. The Warner College of Natural Resources gives students have access to Geospatial Information Systems and design and apparel merchandising have access to trend forecast software.

The computers within the library common area and in the editing bays are funded by the technology fee. Nathan Stock, a sophomore civil engineering major, explained that the desktop computers in the library are the most accessible technology available to students on campus. 

“(The Morgan Library is) a place to go and do your homework and in a pretty good environment that has definitely a lot of resources that you can use there,” Stock said. 

Most students are unaware of where their technology fee is going. On a twitter poll, 93% of students who participated said they did not know what the University Technology Fee goes toward.

The University Technology Fee Advisory Board works to acknowledge where the student fees are going, Huitt said.

“There are signs posted outside of each General Assignment classroom that call out University Technology Fee contributions,” Huitt said. “That’s difficult with services with like the wireless network, however, given there is no way to post a sign on a service that is invisible.”

CSU provides a multitude of computer labs, access to Adobe software and computer desktops, printing and other technologies to allow student, staff and faculty to have easy access.

“I think (the technology) is pretty well used,” said Emily Morton, a sophomore majoring in conservation biology and music performance. “I think that considering we’re a very large University we do have the ability to use a lot of technology and cut down on paper resources and stuff because we have Canvas and access to computers in the library so everyone, even if you don’t have your own computer you have access.”

Laura Studley can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @laurastudley_.