CSU basketball player arrested in domestic violence case after restraining ex-girlfriend

CSU basketball player Gian Clavell was arrested Wednesday after his ex-girlfriend told police he physically restrained her in the Moby Arena parking lot last week and continued to contact and touch her after she repeatedly told him to stop.

Clavell was arrested for false imprisonment with a domestic violence enhancement, but was released Thursday on a $750 bond. This was the second time Clavell was arrested in the past 14 months.

The relationship between Clavell and his ex-girlfriend, whose identity was not released but is identified as a student athlete, escalated within the past two weeks. According to the alleged victim’s report to police, Clavell would frequently wait for her after she finished with practice, follow her out to her car, and grab her by her arms and stomach.

Claevell was arrested Wednesday, Nov. 9, after his ex-girlfriend reported to police that he physically restrained her and continued to contact her after she repeatedly asked him to stop. (Photo courtesy of Larimer County Sheriff's Office)
Gian Clavell was arrested Wednesday, Nov. 9, after his ex-girlfriend reported to police that he physically restrained her and continued to contact her after she repeatedly asked him to stop. (Photo courtesy of Larimer County Sheriff’s Office)

On Nov. 1, Clavell waited for her after practice and forced her to hug him and refused to let her go, according to the report.

“(I felt) disrespected … and disgusted,” she said to police, according to the report. “You’re so angry at somebody and you’re trying to get away from them, you want nothing to do with them, and they force you to hug them … It definitely did not feel right.”

After the incident, she texted Clavell the next day to ask him to stop contacting her and touching her. In the text messages, she told Clavell his behavior proved to her that his temper has not changed.

According to the police report, a second incident reportedly occurred a few days later on Nov. 3. Clavell followed her out to her car in the Moby Arena parking lot and physically restrained her by the arms to prevent her from leaving. Clavell grabbed her backpack with her car keys, phone and wallet to stop her.

The next day, she called the CSU Police Department to ask how to receive a restraining order. After she spoke with police, Officer Katie Aron determined the incident was grounds for Clavell’s arrest.

Aron called Clavell on Nov. 9, and after speaking with him, placed him under arrest. During his interview with police, Clavell said he was “in the heat of the moment” and admitted that what he did was wrong.

The relationship lasted for approximately year and a half, from January 2015 – July 2016. Clavell’s last arrest was related to a similar incident with her in July 2015, when a CSUPD officer witnessed Clavell grab her arm, as she was trying to walk away from him.

“I’m sick and tired of being yelled at and pushed around,” Clavell’s ex-girlfriend reportedly told police Nov. 4.

Clavell has been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team pending investigation of the incident, according to the CSU Athletic Department. 

“When a student-athlete has been arrested or charged with a violation of criminal law, the student-athlete will be suspended from all team activities pending further investigation,” the CSU Athletic Department wrote in a statement Thursday.

Collegian news editor Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @erinmdouglas23.