Roughstock: Raised For The Job

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
Taggart Moses rides during X2D Broncs riding practice at Double Check Arena in Eaton, Colorado, April 3, 2023.

The images in Roughstock are the result of a yearlong project following a community of rodeo riders in Northern Colorado. Right alongside the horses and bulls raised as “roughstock” for rodeo work, the generations of cowboys depicted here were born into the arena. Their love of rodeo and their close-knit community represent what it means to be true cowboys and cowgirls, whose work with livestock is still defining the mythos and the reality of the American West. The discipline and danger of rodeo require complete commitment and teach these young people a way of life both in and out of the area, keeping a tough work ethic, faith and family at its core. Cowboy and rancher J.D. Ford, referring to the signal given by a rider ready to come out of the chute, said, “You’re playing with life and death every time you nod your head.”

• A bull fighter awaits the next rider during the Richie Tavenner Memorial Bull Blast in Brighton, Colorado, June 17, 2023.

• A father and son take a moment of prayer before the Richie Tavenner Memorial Bull Blast in Brighton, Colorado, June 17, 2023.

• Gary Leffew coaches bull riders at J.D. Ford’s ranch in Brighton, Colorado, June 2, 2023.

• Parker Gilbert prepares to get on a bull at J.D. Ford’s bull riding practice in Brighton, Colorado, June 2, 2023. Ford has been holding practice at his house every Sunday for the past 29 years.

• A bull rider competes during the Richie Tavenner Memorial Bull Blast in Brighton, Colorado, June 17, 2023. The winner receives a scholarship to the Gary Leffew Bull Riding School.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Patrick Sisneros smiles after being covered in mud during the Richie Tavenner Memorial Bull Blast in Brighton, Colorado, June 17, 2023.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Chayse Edmiston drinks water after getting a bloody nose during the Richie Tavenner Memorial Bull Blast in Brighton, Colorado, June 17, 2023.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Andrew Garey smiles after being covered in mud during the Richie Tavenner Memorial Bull Blast in Brighton, Colorado, June 17, 2023.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Parker Gilbert rides a bull at J.D. Ford’s bull riding practice in Brighton, Colorado, June 2, 2023. Ford has been holding practice at his house every Sunday for the past 29 years.

• Taggart Moses rides during X2D Broncs riding practice at Double Check Arena in Eaton, Colorado, April 3, 2023.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein