About The Collegian arts and culture desk

Editor’s note: As part of a media transparency initiative, on Aug. 20, 2018, The Collegian spent the first day of publishing of the year telling our readers about us. You can read more about the people behind our publication in the Editor’s Blog.

The culture of Fort Collins is vibrant and alive. There are many interesting people and events in our community, and it’s hard to describe them all in just a few words. Fort Collins is home to a diverse set of people that include artists, entrepreneurs, scholars and inventors who all have a story worth sharing.

At the Rocky Mountain Collegian, the arts and culture desk serves as a gateway into the unique community of Fort Collins. We hope to bring out the humanity within our city’s culture, and our desk covers a broad expanse of topics and interests. We try to extend beyond Fort Collins to bring coverage of the growing arts and culture scene around Colorado and the nation. 

We create a platform for Colorado State University students to express themselves and to showcase the amazing things each one is capable of, regardless of their major area of study. Working for this desk is exciting and allows for reporters to write about what they are passionate about while learning and gaining experiences from local experts and enthusiasts. 

Our reporters also strive to better connect the students and faculty here at CSU. We cover numerous events that happen on campus, from musical performances to readings and lectures from esteemed scholars and activists, and feature organizations and people that are making an impression on the CSU community. 

Every arts and culture story has a human interest aspect that makes our desk unique, and we work to spotlight the eccentric residents of Fort Collins. We cover the people who make our school and community amazing and who inspire students to reach their full potential. We recognize the melting-pot this growing city has become and believe in the importance of representation. We hope our content serves as proof of the open-minded and inclusive community of CSU and Fort Collins. 

While we celebrate diversity and outside influences, the arts and culture desk also likes to focus on the unique outdoor, agricultural and college town vibe that Fort Collins brings. Coverage ranges from food and beer festivals, historical pieces on Fort Collins and CSU pioneers, features on sports that define Colorado and pieces about college life that the average student can relate to. 

The Collegian arts and culture desk aims to combine entertainment and education into an interesting, honest and visually-pleasing piece of journalism. In addition to an insight of art and people, we hope our pieces will spark thoughts and conversation about the relationships within current society, here and abroad. 

Arts and culture editors Sarah Ehrlich and Claire Oliver can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @sarahehrlich96 and @claire_oliver21.