‘Multicultural, Intersectional, Inclusivity, eXchange’ event to unravel American societal ignorance Thursday at Gregory Allicar Museum

sign outside of Gregory Allicar museum of Art
The Gregory Allicar Museum of Art presents MIX (Multicultural Intersectional Inclusivity eXchange) on March 29th from 5 to 7:30 P.M. There will be a panel to discuss social justice and minority representation after an ananlysis of the museum’s art through the lenses of the attendees. {Abby Flitton | Collegian}

Gender, race, culture and identity are things that can inspire people and promote a sense of belonging. They can also be leveraged and manipulated by those who lack understanding of their depth to demean and insult.

The “Multicultural, Intersectional, Inclusivity, eXchange” (MIX) is meant to foster conversations amongst all beliefs and identities about belonging, struggle and emotion and to mitigate misunderstanding. MIX is being held at the Gregory Allicar Museum on Colorado State University’s campus Thursday from 5-7:30 p.m.

The event will start with a 30-minute reflection period of the museum’s temporary and permanent collections. Attendees are encouraged to analyze the artwork and reflect on a lack of representation or understanding found throughout in order to identify and discuss the societal implications of a system that may not reflect diverse cultures.

Supported by: 

Asian Pacific American Cultural Center, El Centro, Native American Cultural Center, Pride Resource Center, and Resources for Disabled Students. 

Following the collection assessment, a panel of people from various backgrounds and identities will facilitate a discussion with attendees about personal perceptions of the artwork as well as any relevant experiences that pertain to the topic. The panel will share their personal experiences to invigorate the event and to advance a conversation of which the goal is to converge all people and provoke discourse.

The event comes at a time when tensions throughout the country between different races, faiths and belief systems are high. An event of this nature could be an effective tool to proliferate thinking from different viewpoints. Although the rhetoric will be focused around marginalization, anyone may attend the event.

The event is hosted by the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art and supported by the Asian Pacific American Cultural Center, El Centro, the Native American Cultural Center, the Pride Resource Center and Resources for Disabled Students.

Collegian reporter Carson Lipe can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @carsonlipe. 

Correction: A former version of this article stated that the Asian Pacific American Cultural Center, El Centro, the Native American Cultural Center, the Pride Resource Center, Resources for Disabled Students, the Black/ African American Culture Center and the Women and Gender Advocacy Center were the hosts of the event. The event is actually hosted by the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art and supported by the Asian Pacific American Cultural Center, El Centro, the Native American Cultural Center, the Pride Resource Center and Resources for Disabled Students. – 3/26/18