CSU baseball loses three of four-game weekend series with CU-Boulder

032913_Baseball-KJ

CSU alumnus Vicky Jordan was conflicted while watching the CSU baseball team lose three out of their four games against CU-Boulder over the weekend.

Despite the games being played in three different locations ranging from northern Colorado to Colorado Springs, her troubles stemmed from something else; having to cheer for her son wearing a Buffaloes uniform.

“Even as a mom, it’s still always going to be hard to cheer for CU,” Jordan said “We tried, but he made his decision and at the end of the day we all support that. We have a lot of fun with it, I thought I’d never say it but I wanted CU to win all weekend.”

Her son, Forrest, plays third base for the Buffaloes and was a key contributor to their success over the weekend. He accounted for two of CU’s eight hits in its 4-1 victory Friday night at City Park in Fort Collins.

“We struggled with getting those hits in early but once we did get a few in, it was almost like we were building off of our own momentum and kept it going,” Forrest Jordan said.

Jordan added three more hits and two RBI’s in Saturday’s game in Colorado Springs, leading them to another win, 5-2.

Saturday’s game was held at Security Service Field, home of the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, the AAA affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. With a capacity of 8,500, video scoreboard and announcers, the stadium was a change of pace from the Rams’ usual venue of City Park

“I think it’s cool that we were able to give the field for these guys. I bet they don’t get the chance to play in a place like this very often,” stadium usher Shelby Martin said. “The turnout is nowhere near the same but I bet that doesn’t matter to the kids.”

The series made its final stop in Boulder on Sunday for a doubleheader to close out the weekend.

According to CSU head coach Nick Childs, the 5-4 loss the Rams suffered in game three was the toughest one to come away with.

“The first one was the toughest because it was so close. Things hadn’t been going our way the first couple days but with it being as close as it was, we were ready to catch a break and get things moving on our end,” Childs said. “If anything, it made us come out in the final game the way we did.”

The only win CSU picked up throughout the series against its in-state rival came during the final game Sunday, after the Rams scored two runs in the first inning, setting the tone early on their way to a 4-2 victory.

“It’s important that we focus on that. The weekend didn’t go the way we had originally pictured it, but we did end it on a good note and has to work off of that,” Childs said.

CSU (3-5) now trails both UNC (6-3) and CU (4-5) in Mid-America West Conference play. The Rams have the chance to improve their conference record this weekend during a four-game home series against UNC.

“We know that this wasn’t the ideal position to be in but we have a chance to redeem ourselves against UNC,” Childs said. “If we win these games and get the sweep then we’ll be back to first place.”

Club Sports Beat Reporter Quentin Sickafoose can be reached at sports@collegian.com.