Clark C is just the worst

PaulHazelton_Mug
Paul Hazelton

If you didn’t know you were in Clark C, you might think you were in a psychiatric institution. There are no windows, the brick walls are an oppressive white and the floor design locks up in a grid. Every day I’ve spent in this unsavory hell-hole was an episode out of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” except I was wearing a backpack instead of a straight jacket.

There are so many renovations on this campus that it’s been dubbed “Construction State University,” and yet one of the buildings that could use it most remains on the back-burner. Before we jump to conclusions, I am by no means saying the Visual Arts building or Eddy Hall did not desperately need improvements. I’m only arguing Clark C should be next on the list. Here’s why.

The furniture. Unlike the cozy Behavioral Science building, which has couches, Clark C hosts concrete benches fashioned with a thin band of carpeting (it’s super comfortable if you’re wondering). The few pieces of furniture that we do have seem to be fished out of the Arc’s refuse pile.

Possibly even more uncomfortable than the furnishings is the lights. To be fair, there are lights that give off warm, welcoming rays but these are usually very dim and encased in awkward metal boxes. As for the others, they hum with an aura I can only describe as “Walmartish.” But in the end, this may have more to do with the lack of natural light than the light fixtures themselves.

Regardless, at least the lights have consistency, something the floor lacks. Worse than that, it’s ugly. In some areas, it looks like what you might expect if the colors for the carpet were lifted from a dinged-up guardrail and the design was inspired by a heap of dead tigers.

My next issue is the computer labs. You might think they would be stocked with up-to-date technology considering the building houses almost the entire liberal arts college, but that’s rarely the case. We’re more often presented with ancient HP’s and and derelict Dells.

However, antiquated technology pales in comparison to the design of the stairwell, which would make a civil engineer ill. Instead of being continuous, it’s broken into two sections, one leading to the basement and one leading to the upper floors. Now, this might sound acceptable, and it would be if it weren’t for the unnecessarily small doorways that facilitate massive traffic jams.

So as you can see, there are a lot of problems with the interior of Clark C, and I could live with it all if the shape of the building wasn’t so damn boring. Sometimes I wonder to myself, did they even hire an architect? If they did, he or she was exceptionally unimaginative and probably won’t be walking home with the Pritzker Architecture Prize.

So please Colorado State University, the next time you feel like spending a couple million, maybe it would be a good idea to revamp a run-down building which provides classes and offices to a huge block of the student body and staff.

Collegian Columnist Paul Hazelton can be reached at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter @hazeltonpaul.