Post-grad unemployment angst

Res Stecker
Res Stecker

For many, graduation is a time for celebration and pride, a sense of euphoric accomplishment will wash over some people who are clad in cap and gown, and good for them. I, on the other hand, will likely be forgoing any celebration that day, as my future will be more uncertain then than it has at any other moment in my life. Despite the fact that I will receive that piece of paper confirming my supposedly increased employability, I’m still not exactly sure what that means.

I know that I am certainly not the only one feeling overwhelmed by the task of finding a career. Many universities take pride in the employment after graduation percentage. But I think this is a terrible way to measure how students are benefiting from the school and how their life is going after graduation. Anyone can find work, especially young people in our social classes. Finding a job is relatively easy. Finding a meaningful place of employment where you can say at the end of your life that you moved more than the dirt it took to bury you is quite another story.

Many students who graduate are likely looking for a career related to something in which they majored. While many an adult has assured me you hardly ever end up doing what you went to school for, does anyone really want to follow that trend? Maybe if you’re just in it for the money I guess, but most people should be a little less superficial than that.

While it would be easy to direct the frustration of the lack of finding meaningful employment at the University, it is also understandable why they do not help very much. CSU graduates several thousand people every year and basically sends them on their way. Only calling to remind you that you are an “alumni” and you should donate money. But the fact that enrollment is at an all-time high surely means that the school is doing something right. Perhaps it would be a bit nicer, though, if the university gave equal focus to post grads as they do to potential students and retaining them. After all, I will be much more likely to donate to the university if I actually have something to donate.

While I believe the school could do more for aiding students in finding meaningful work than just one paltry job fair a semester, in truth the burden of finding a career is the responsibility only of oneself. Some majors are simply much more easily employable than others, but it wouldn’t make sense to do something only for the money. Having degrees in international studies and history doesn’t really sound all that special. But, being really good at a subject, and having a passion for it has to count for something in the long run, right?

Perhaps the most irritating thing for myself and others with majors like mine is that I am supremely confident that if given the chance I know that I would do an incredible job in whatever employment I have. I just ask to be given a chance to work hard and prove it. I know that tens of thousands of students feel the same way all across the United States.

Graduating university should not be a free ticket to an easy life. Everyone should earn everything they get, but would it not be a better reflection on the school and society in general if there is at least a guarantee of having a chance to succeed?

The community of Fort Collins is a great place to live, and CSU is definitely the best school in the Mountain Time Zone, but it doesn’t mean squat if hundreds of people are graduating without at least a few straws to grasp on to. Surely our great institution can open up the check book to better resource students for jobs if it has the audacity to ask recent grads for money. Besides, with skyrocketing tuition costs, it is a necessity for the university to ensure that students are going to actually be able use the paper which they are paying tens of thousands of dollars for.

Finally, if anyone reading this has any sort of power in terms of hiring people for you company, consider what it would mean to students if you choose them from this university. Don’t worry; I won’t be offended if you don’t pick me.

Res Stecker is praying to anyone that will listen for employment post graduation. Feedback and job opportunities can be sent to letters@collegian.com

In Brief:

Just because you have a diploma, that doesn’t mean you know what you’re going to do with it

CSU graduates thousands of people every year, they can’t find employment for everyone.

We should at least have some straws to grasp at when we finish that graduation walk.