All majors are created equal

Bayley EnrightAs a Creative Writing student, I have had my fair share of “Your-major-is-so-easy” academic abuse. And each time I hear a sarcastic, “I guess I should’ve been an English major,” or “You write stories? That’s not really school,” comment, my urge to punch someone in the face intensifies. But I don’t actually hit anyone, because we’re all adults here, right? My point is – all majors are created equal.

Well, I guess legally that is true, but all the “My major is better/harder/more useful than your major” teasing that goes on around here seems to suggest otherwise. Seriously, people.

Now, you may be reading this thinking, “Yeah, but you’re a Creative Writing major, of course you believe in a bigger and better world of major equality” but let me tell you, I’m not perfect, and I’ve had my share of experiences where it’s awfully easy to make fun of another major.

I have two brothers who are both art majors, and there have plenty of times where it was tempting to give them grief for it — like those times where I’m up late laboring over a 12-page paper, and they’re freaking out because the leaves on their flower pictures don’t look textured enough, or are the “wrong” shade of green, or whatever.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to make fun of them during times like that? Easy, perhaps, but not advisable — just let me say, when you’re dealing with a stressed-out artist, don’t mock them while they still have their pencil in hand.

But you know what? Drawing leaves is hard. I may be able to write that 12-page paper like nobody’s business, but my leaf looks like a dead and flattened caterpillar.

What I’m saying here is that we all have our skills. I may not know how to solve that calculus problem, and I may not know a thing about chemistry, but I can analyze the snot out of Lady Macbeth and I can tell you all about how various texts and institutions subversively enforce gender roles. I know, I know, there’s a lot of excitement there — just calm down.

The point I’m getting to here is that it’s a good thing we’re all studying different things, and it’s a good thing that writing papers is easy for some people because for others you’d think someone was dragging them through a lake of lava trying to get them to churn out three pages.

So please, stop teasing the music majors, the arts majors, the psychology majors or really anyone who studying a different thing than you. We do need you computer science geeks, but we also need those mathematicians and those interior designers.

And just think how terrible this world would be if we were all engineering students, or all theatre majors. Academic diversity is important, guys — let’s try not to squash it.