Larimer County moves to Safer at Home Level 4

graphic depicting a satellite beacon with the text "Breaking News" in all caps
(Graphic Illustration by Malia Berry | The Collegian)

Larimer County has moved from Safer at Home Level 2 to Level 4 on Colorado’s COVID-19 dial. 

Due to the increase in COVID-19 case counts and positivity rates, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment decided to move straight to Level 4. 

“As of Friday, Nov. 20, Larimer County’s COVID-19 14-day incidence rate is 819 per 100,000 (people), and the positivity rate is 12.1%; both numbers have increased significantly since early September,” the release said.

Hospitalizations due to COVID-19 at both UCHealth and Banner Health are just under 100, with 94 patients in the Larimer County locations, according to numbers provided by the release. 

Level red indicates severe risk, according to the Colorado COVID-19 dial dashboard. It is one step below purple, which would mean that a mandatory stay-at-home order is in effect. 

At this level, indoor dining for restaurants will be unavailable; however, takeout, curbside or to-go orders will remain operational. Gyms will move to 10% capacity from the previous 25%. 

People may gather for outdoor sports in groups under 10. Indoor seated and unseated events and entertainment are closed at this level. Bars will remain closed. Places of worship will drop to 25% capacity. 

“Right now, it is critical that every Larimer County resident take the steps needed to prevent the transmission of COVID-19,” said Larimer County Public Health Director Tom Gonzales in the release. “Every single positive COVID-19 case in Larimer County is a step backward for the entire community.” 

Gonzales said that even though more testing and information is available than it was in April, transmission is still greater, and the case numbers are higher. 

“Please, we have got to do this together to move forward,” Gonzales said in the release. 

These new changes for Level 4 will go into effect Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 5 p.m. 

Laura Studley can be reached as news@collegian.com or on Twitter @laurastudley_