Editor’s pick: Top 50 photos of the fall semester

Dear viewers, 

We believe that images have the capacity to tell stories in a unique way. Photojournalists document the truth, capture elements of the human experience, and move people in ways words cannot.

Alongside working as full-time students at Colorado State University, the photojournalists on The Collegian Photo Desk visually report on events in Northern Colorado. Whether it is running alongside protestors or striking up conversations with community members, our photographers have worked hard to provide strong visual content for the paper this semester.  

This gallery celebrates the work of the Collegian Photo Desk this fall semester, selected by The Collegian Photo Director Matt Tackett and Photo Editor Anna von Pechmann. 

• Ally Price and other Fort Collins community members hold signs as they protest the Turning Point USA “Culture Wars” event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22, 2019. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Marshaun Cameron (26) stands on the field between plays against the Air Force Academy Nov. 16. The Rams lost 38-21. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

• Holocaust survivor Eva Schloss meets World War II veteran Army Nurse Leila Morrison in the Lory Student Center Ballroom Nov. 18. (Colin Shepherd | The Collegian)

• Heaven Old Coyote puts a beaded feather piece in their hair at the Native American Cultural Center’s 37th Annual Pow Wow, hosted by the American Indian Science and Engineering Society in the Lory Student Center Nov. 26, 2019. Old Coyote traveled five hours from the Wind River Indian Reservation to Fort Collins to perform with their family.

Collegian | Anna von Pechmann
  • Yeabe Ejigu teaches the traditional Ethiopian dance Eskista at the ASCSU and COISA International Dance Party at the Lory Student Center Theatre Nov. 14. The dance consists of rapid shoulder movements correlating to the beat of the music. The event featured nine different cultures or styles of dancing. Following a performance by each student dancer, a small tutorial was given for those present. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University junior defender Lauren Jones (12) heads the ball out of the box against the University of New Mexico Sept. 27. The Rams won in overtime 1-0. (Megan McGregor | The Collegian)

• Khrys’taaal performs on stage during the fall semester PRISM drag show, Scream Queers, in the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom Oct. 20. PRISM collected donations that went to the Pride Resource Center to help fund scholarships for LGBTQ+ students. (Colin Shepherd | The Collegian)

• Monét X Change performs at the Scream Queers drag show Oct. 20. Participants voiced that the drag show was about inclusion and acceptance of all people and identities. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps member Abigail Waugh hands out flags for students to place in The Plaza for Veterans Day Nov. 11. Waugh said, “We’re handing out the flags to memorialize all those who have fallen since 9/11” and that each flag represents a service member. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• Singer-songwriter Dodie performs at the Gothic Theatre on her North American Human Tour Sept. 27. (Colin Shepherd | The Collegian)

• David Stitzel sits in the living room of his home near Colorado State University’s campus Sept. 22. Stitzel is a CSU alumnus and works on restoring bikes to donate to members of the Fort Collins community who are in need of a reliable, safe mode of transportation. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • Colorado State University basketball player Tori Williams (2) points to where she would like her other teammates to be for the play Oct. 30, 2019. The Rams won the game against the Colorado State University Pueblo Thunderwolves 84-44. (Asia Kalcevic | The Collegian)

• A member of the gallery holds up a sign at the Associated Students of Colorado State University senate session Sept. 18 during a discussion of the blackface image that has been circulating on social media recently. (Colin Shepherd | The Collegian)

• Michael Acheampong listens to speakers at the Associated Students of Colorado State University senate session Sept. 18 during a discussion of the blackface image that has been circulating on social media recently. The senate session was moved to the North Ballroom of the Lory Student Center to accommodate for an unusually large crowd size. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

• Jimmy Eat World’s lead singer, Jim Adkins, singing on stage during the band’s Surviving Tour, named after their latest album. The band performed at Washington’s on Saturday, Nov. 2. (Skyler Pradhan | The Collegian)

• The Colorado State University soccer team takes a 1-0 victory against New Mexico despite the rainy conditions. CSU came close to scoring on the New Mexico Lobos halfway through the first quarter but were unsuccessful. (Asia Kalcevic | The Collegian)

• Steve Ramer protests in front of New Belgium Brewery on Dec. 14, 2019. People were protesting New Belgium’s sale to Kirin because of its questionable links to human rights violations in Myanmar. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University women’s rugby player Emily Jagerhorn runs down the sideline while player Ruby Charney tries to tackle her from behind Nov. 8. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

• A Western Tanager sits on a branch at Walden Ponds on May 22. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• The construction zone on the future lot of Meridian Village, a new housing community on campus that was scheduled to be completed in 2025, Dec. 16, 2019.

Collegian | Collegian file photo
  • Albert Cones, a Colorado State University compost technician, pauses for a moment in front of the trucks he and his team use Dec. 8. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

• Addie Sartino, the lead vocalist of the indie-pop band The Greeting Committee, sings their most streamed hit “Hands Down” at Washington’s on Tuesday evening before Hippo Campus takes the stage Nov. 12. (Alyssa Uhl | The Collegian)

• Members of the #NotProudToBe blackout event stand in front of the stage as President Joyce McConnell gives her 2019 Fall Address Sept. 19. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University students Marcela Riddick and Janaye Matthews lead a meeting at Johnson Hall before the #NotProudToBe blackout event, which took place during the Fall Address Sept. 19. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Sebastian Bastille, left, an athlete with the Special Olympics Club at Colorado State University, fist bumps the club’s financial chair, Kyle Baird, before the flag football game begins on the Intramural Fields Oct. 8. The creed of the worldwide organization is “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.” The student-run club at CSU has been nationally recognized by ESPN for their leadership and ability to foster an encouraging environment that has transformed the lives of young adults with special needs throughout the Fort Collins community. (Alyssa Uhl | The Collegian)

• Shot on 35mm film, Anthony Hawkins (14) returns a kickoff against Air Force Nov. 16. Hawkins, a senior from Texas, returned an opening kickoff for 99 yards on Nov. 2, which was the second longest in Colorado State history and the longest at Canvas Stadium. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

• Taking advantage of the weather before it snows, Fort Collins resident Jake Herrera skateboards at Spring Canyon Skate Park on Thursday, Oct. 24. Established in 2007, the park is free to the public and open dawn until dusk all year round. (Anna Montesanti | The Collegian)

• Vocalist Austin Getz of Turnover sings and plays keyboard during the band’s set at the Gothic Theatre in Denver Dec. 4. (Megan McGregor | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University volleyball player Kirstie Hillyer (13) embraces Madison Boles (1) before they take on the University of New Mexico Lobos Sept. 26. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

• Local Northern Colorado artist Armando Silva installs an exhibit for Día De Los Muertos. The exhibit was up from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2. (Nathan Tran | The Collegian)

• An actor sings during a dress rehearsal of “The Full Monty,” presented by OpenStage, at the Lincoln Center Nov. 1. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University football player Warren Jackson (9) gets into a defender’s face after an incomplete pass during the Rams’ game against the University of Las Vegas at home Nov. 2. CSU won the game 37-17. (Devin Cornelius | The Collegian)

Collegian | Devin Cornelius
  • As a state-owned property, Colorado State University falls under the same tobacco restrictions of former Gov. John Hickenlooper’s November 2018 executive order as other state-owned buildings and properties. Executive Director of the CSU department of policy, risk & environmental programs Bob Schur said, “We’re not trying to get people in trouble or be really punitive about this. We’re making efforts to communicate with the campus community about the policy and how it came about and what’s expected.” (Photo Illustration by Skyler Pradhan | The Collegian)

• Megan Jacobs (3) goes for a basket in CSU’s home game against the University of Colorado Buffaloes Nov. 22. The Rams lost 79-75. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University alumna Jodi Manera sets up a cairn outside of Rams Horn in Academic Village on Nov. 16. Cairns are used for relocating trails, and Manera says, “I’m showing people the way towards the stadium for tonight’s game.” Building the cairn is part of a family tradition that usually takes place around a lake, and they decided to put a fun twist on it for the football game against Air Force. (Noah Turner | The Collegian)

• A slurry plane drops fire retardant on the Skyline Fire near Horsetooth Reservoir Sept. 5. A suspect is in custody for charges of arson relating to the fire. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Freshman volleyball player Brooke Hudson lays in confetti on the Moby Arena court in celebration of Colorado State University’s Mountain West conference championship victory Nov. 16, 2019. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

• Alonso Preciado, a second-year landscape architecture major, spends a sunny afternoon riding BMX bikes with his friend Austin Reed Nov. 13. He began riding about two years ago and works on his bunny hop in this photo. “I like to ride BMX for fun, and it is quite the stress reliever,” Preciado said. (Addie Kuettner | The Collegian)

• ROTC Cadet Jackson Gaebler stands in front of the Prisoner of War and Missing in Action flag in The Plaza Sept. 20. Audrey Mayer, a fellow ROTC cadet, explained that this was part of a 24-hour vigil for POW/MIA Recognition Day, with guards taking shifts since 6 p.m. Sept. 19. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• Sophomore Amanda Rooms cuts out cardboard circles in her Art 170 foundations of 3D class. “I want to go into art therapy because I’ve always loved art and always wanted to work with people with special needs,” Rooms said. “This is the perfect combination.” (Brooke Buchan | The Collegian)

Collegian | Brooke Buchan 2019
  • Cranked Up Coffee Owner Larry Conlon pours a lemonade at the Fort Collins food truck rally June 2. The food truck rally is hosted at City Park every Tuesday evening during the summer. (Matt Begeman | The Collegian)

• High school student and Avery House volunteer Blake Bergersen admires an old clock inside the front room of the Avery House Sept. 14. Bergersen wishes to attend college in Texas for watchmaking and said this clock is his favorite part of the entire home. The Avery House was originally built in 1879, receiving its National Register as a historically significant landmark in 1972. (Brooke Buchan | The Collegian)

Collegian | Brooke Buchan 2019
  • Hundreds of community members gather in Old Town Square for the Fort Collins Climate Strike to show their support in enacting major policy changes Sept. 27. (Alyssa Uhl | The Collegian)

• Morgan Billow prepares for the Homecoming Parade while sitting on her horse Oct. 4. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

• Freshman construction management major and geology minor John Gardner paints watercolors in a Newsom Hall study room with his pet mouse, Brenito Mouselini. Gardner got Mouselini on Oct. 31 from the Larimer County Humane Society. Since then, Gardner has “been spending nearly every waking moment with him” and taking his pet mouse to classes where he sleeps in Gardner’s pocket. Gardner did not expect to form such a close bond with the mouse, but he feels that Mouselini is “like a tiny little dog that can climb.” He says he receives mixed reactions when people know he has a pet mouse, but that Mouselini is still “the best wing man (he’s) ever had.” (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

• Sylvia Wilkins stands in the European foods section of her store City Drug, Nov. 9, 2019. Wilkins runs the store with her children, Bernie and Barbara Wilkins. Wilkins bought the store in 1991 with her husband Charles, who has since passed away. (Gregory James | The Collegian)

• A climber at Whetstone Climbing gym’s first ever Halloween headlamp climbing event Oct. 31. Unlike traditional gym climbing, participants used their own headlamps to navigate their way through routes. Since it was Halloween, the gym invited people to wear costumes, as well as find candy hidden along climbing routes. (Skyler Pradhan | The Collegian)

• Young Fort Collins resident Graham W. plays an arcade game for the first time inside Pinball Jones in Old Town Oct. 10. The bar and arcade has a downtown location as well as a Campus West location on Elizabeth Street. (Brooke Buchan | The Collegian)

Collegian | Brooke Buchan 2019
  • Former Colorado State University head coach Mike Bobo talks with running back Marvin Kinsey Jr. on the sidelines at the Rocky Mountain Showdown Aug. 31. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Renae Dambly performs a wall jump outside of the Lory Student Center Aug. 11. Dambly and her colleagues enjoy doing parkour on college campuses because of their “unique architecture that is easy to find challenges on.” Dambly has been practicing parkour for eight years and likes the “freedom of movement” that comes with learning the basics, then being able to mix and match combinations depending on the architecture of a spot. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

Matt Tackett and Anna von Pechmann can be reached at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @CSUCollegian