Scenes from Charlie Kirk’s ‘Culture War’ event

The Young Democratic Socialists of America, members of Antifa, the Colorado Proud Boys and people who were unable to enter the University Center for the Arts took to opposite sides of Remington Street to protest and support Charlie Kirk’s controversial “Culture War” event Oct. 22. The conservative speaker and personality hosted Donald Trump Jr. as a guest, where the two political figures and other guests discussed conservative values, socialism in the U.S. and American politics. 

This gallery shows scenes from the protests outside of the event, as captured by Collegian Photo Director Matt Tackett, Photo Editor Anna von Pechmann and Editor-in-Chief Forrest Czarnecki. 

• Ally Price and other Fort Collins community members hold signs as they protest the Turning Point USA “Culture Wars” event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22, 2019. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Fort Collins Police Services Sgt. Matt Johnson interacts with counter protesters along Remington Street outside of the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• A protester is led away from the crowd by a police officer at the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • Liz Bunya, a representative of the Lakota tribe, chants toward conservative attendees at the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • A Fort Collins community member holds hand signs in support of the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• A protester yells at conservative attendees outside the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • Louie Huey and another Colorado Proud Boy member live stream and interact with protesters on across Remington Street outside of the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• A protester checks his phone while chanting at the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” tour at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • A protester chants at conservative protesters outside the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • A Colorado Proud Boy (hands behind back) gets detained outside the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • Colorado State University students, community members and members of Young Democratic Socialists of America march through campus towards the University Center for the Arts to protest at the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event, Oct. 22. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Protesters chant and yell at the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • A protester listens to the police outside of the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • Colorado State University students, community members and members of the Young Democratic Socialists of America carry signs as they march to protest the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Protesters speak to videographers at the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki

• Protesters hold anarchy and Antifa flags as they protest after the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• A protest attendee reacts to protester statements at the Charlie Kirk “Culture War” event at the University Center for the Arts Oct. 22, 2019. The event featured both Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative speaker, and Donald Trump Jr., where they discussed conservative values and socialism in the U.S. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki

• Protestors from opposing groups hug on Remington during the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event, Oct. 22. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University students, community members and members of Young Democratic Socialists of America march through campus towards the University Center for the Arts to protest outside the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event, Oct. 22. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University police officer stands on Remington to prevent protestors from obstructing traffic outside the University Center for the Arts during the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event, Oct. 22. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Protesters create signs at a solidarity event on campus before marching to protest the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University students, community members and members of Young Democratic Socialists of America march towards the University Center for the Arts to protest outside the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event, Oct. 22. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Protesters hold anarchy and Antifa flags towards Fort Collins Police Officers as they protest after the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Fort Collins community members hold signs as they protest the Turning Point USA Culture Wars event hosted by Charlie Kirk with special guest Donald Trump Jr. at the University Center for the Arts, Oct. 22. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)