Colorado State guard Gian Clavell charged with harassment, released on $750 bond

Colorado State guard Gian Clavell was arrested Thursday on harassment charges, according to the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.
Colorado State guard Gian Clavell was arrested Thursday on harassment charges, according to the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office.

Colorado State’s leading returning scorer, Gian Clavell, was arrested and jailed Thursday by CSUPD after allegedly harassing and falsely imprisoning a female student with a domestic violence enhancement, according to the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office.

A school spokesperson said the 21-year-old senior guard from Puerto Rico was arrested near the intersection of Meridian Avenue and South Drive around 9:45 a.m. A CSUPD officer witnessed Clavell grab the female student’s arm as she was trying to walk away from him, according to the arrest affidavit.

Clavell was released Friday morning after posting a $750 personal recognizance bond.

“We are aware of an incident on campus Thursday involving men’s basketball student-athlete Gian Clavell,” a release from the CSU athletic department said. “We take matters of this type very seriously and Head Coach Larry Eustachy has suspended him from all organized team activities while we gather more information. We are following all university protocols, and will be prepared to take further action when appropriate.”

According to University representative Dell Rae Ciaravola, situations like this can result in legal as well as University disciplinary action. According to police records, Clavell was charged Friday afternoon on misdemeanor counts of false imprisonment and harassment and is scheduled to be arraigned on Aug. 13.

Last season, Clavell, a 6-foot-4 guard, was a key contributor off the bench for the Rams, averaging 9.2 points and 3.7 rebounds per game in 33 contests.

Collegian Sports Reporter Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope