Afroman smokes up at 6th annual Cannabis Culture Carnival

• Afroman takes a hit from his blunt while he performs at the Joint’s Cannabis Carnival on Sept. 9. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Matt Pinczkowski competes in the one-handed spoon competition at the Joint’s Cannabis Carnival on Sept. 9. Pinczkowski has been blowing glass for 14 years.(Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• The sun sets over the Joint’s Cannibas Carnival on Sept. 9. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Jes Schultz, the owner of Fort Collins Circus Center, plays on the lyra ring at the Joint’s Cannabis Carnival on Sept. 9. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Mike Pritchett blows fire at the Joint’s Cannabis Carnival on Sept. 9. Pritchett has been blowing fire since 2013. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• 7-month-old Rufus the Corgi, can be found at the Tour de Corgi on Sept. 29. He will be dressed as Marty Mcfly. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Alyssa Stephens does the splits while performing on aerial silks. Stephens has been doing aerial silks for over two years at the Fort Collins Circus Center. “It is a challenge for both your body and your mind,” Stephens said. “I’ve gotten so much stronger over the last couple of years. It’s is an art form that creates a unique feel every time you get on the silks.” (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Jason Warren, of JW Glass, competes in the one-handed spoon competition at the Joint’s Cannabis Carnival on Sept. 9. Warren has been blowing glass for two years. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Matt Pinczkowski competes in the one-handed spoon competition at the Joint’s Cannabis Carnival on Sept. 9. Pinczkowski has been blowing glass for 14 years. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

• Matt Chessler, from MD Glass and the winner of the one-handed spoon competition, and Jason Warren from JW Glass compete in the one-handed spoon competition. A spoon is one of the first things a glass blower learns to create and usually takes anywhere from 5 to twenty minutes when using both hands. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

It was nothing but fun and 420 at the Cannabis Culture Carnival this past Sunday.

The Joint Smoke Shop hosted their annual carnival to celebrate six years of business with several food trucks, marijuana-themed carnival games, a glass blowing competition and a concert performed by rapper and musician Afroman. 

In addition to the several activities, the carnival also provided local artists a space to gain exposure and potentially sell their work. Owner of The Joint Morgan Lindskog said this was her personal favorite aspect of the event.

We’re in a very art prevalent community. It’s really cool to bring [the artists] all together. It’s really cool to see just the average person interact with these artists so that they can see and recognize that there is a lot of people who live a life of passion and still pay their bills.” -Morgan Lindskog, owner of the The Joint Smoke Shop

Megan Blanco, who was volunteering at a tie-dye t-shirt station, said she was glad the carnival was hosting such interactive activities.

“It was really fun [volunteering],” Blanco said. “Mostly we got a bunch of ladies and a bunch of small kids coming with their parents. They had a lot of fun getting to make something on their own.”

Despite the event being almost entirely centered on marijuana, guests of all ages were welcome. The only restricted area was the line of carnival games where guests had to be over the age of 18.

Building up to the Afroman show was a glass blowing competition where competitors had the opportunity to win $1,200.  Space Glass sponsored the competition, and owner Elizabeth Gosnell said both companies came together for the carnival because they have had a history of collaborating in the past.

“We do a lot of business with Morgan at The Joint,” Gosnell said. “We love to sponsor all of her events as a collaboration of business that we do together.”

sunset at Cannabis Carnival
The sun sets over the Joint’s Cannibal Carnival on Sept. 9. (Sara Graydon | Collegian)

Afroman performed his hour-long set, chalice in one hand, blunt in the other. Of course, he ran through his portfolio of hilarious 420 anthems including “Crazy Rap” and “Because I Got High.” Opening for him were rappers Sesugh Solomon and Big Buzz.

Preparation for the event took months according to Lindskog. Much of the time was spent collaborating with sponsors and building some of the games by hand.

Collegian reporter Henry Netherland can be reached at entertainment@.com or on Twitter @NetherlandHenry.