Spring break survival guide

ram-rumble

After feeling burnt out with the storm of midterms, many students are gearing up to kick back during spring break. Whether you are staying at home or traveling in Colorado, there are plenty of ways to enjoy yourself and decompress after a stressful week of tests.

Ways to enjoy a staycation

Go to the park with some friends. With Colorado weather, you might be tanning or making snow angels. Prepare for both.

Create your own beach on your patio (sand not recommended).

Find a new show to binge-watch on Netflix. Spring break is the time to relax from the stress of classes, and what better way than to watch five seasons of one show in a day? Check out what is being added and removed from Netflix in March here.

Experiment a little and learn how to cook a new meal, or go the complete opposite way and keep your favorite take-out menus within reach at all times. For some Saint Patrick’s-themed dishes, check out the latest episode of Collegian Cooks.

Restaurants, concerts and bars

Check out events at the Aggie: It’s a cheap concert and you will probably see a show you have not seen before.

• March 13
    Shatterproof with Wiredogs, Slow Caves and Leash of Foxes
    Tickets: $10
    Doors: 7 PM
  • March 14
    Twiddle with Jaden Carlson Band
    Tickets: $12
    Doors: 7 PM
  • March 20
    Hog Magundy with Bones Jugs N Harmony
    21 & up: Free show | Under 21: $10
    Doors: 7 PM
  • March 21
    Michal Menert with Krooked Drivers and Beat Server
    Tickets: $20
    Doors: 7 PM

Look for a new restaurant or store, maybe the recently added Trader Joe’s.

Exercise the brain cells you’re not using on break and go to trivia night, offered at many bars in Fort Collins. You don’t have to be 21 to go. Here’s a schedule for Geeks Who Drink trivia nights:

Tour a local brewery. Who doesn’t love free beer? New Belgium is a good place to start. Tours are held Tuesday through Sunday, starting at 11:30 a.m. and leaving every half hour until 4:30 p.m.

Road trip ideas

Denver: It may not be exotic, but break is a perfect time to see the sights. Embrace your inner child and head to the Art Museum, Nature and Science Museum (and IMAX movies), or the zoo. Museums are underrated. More events of any kind can be found on the Denver events site. The 16th Street Mall is also a great place for fine dining and entertainment at the Paramount Theater.

Estes Park: A nice day trip, you can find anything from fantastic hikes to ghosts at the Stanley Hotel, and many candy shops featuring ice cream, fudge and taffy. One of the best places to stop by is Bob & Tony’s Pizza, which cooks up some pizza with a spicy kick.

Boulder: Another great day trip, Boulder has a lot to offer: hippie-dippie farmer’s markets, Pearl Street shopping, and the free Celestial Seasonings Tour, just to name a few.

Garden of the Gods: If you are looking to engage with nature, look no farther than Colorado Springs. While the city has many wonderful restaurants, the best gem of the area is the beautiful rock formation, called the Garden of the Gods. While you’re in the area, head over to Manitou Springs, which melds the best parts of Boulder and Estes Park.

Anywhere by car: Take a road trip, a trope in every college movie. Whether it’s a few hours away or all the way to a California beach, bring your friends, caffeine and a good car playlist.

What to bring on vacation

Sunscreen: You don’t want to spend your vacation in pain in the hotel.

Good book: Take a break from textbooks, and read something for fun on the beach.

iPod: If you have a long flight, you won’t want to forget your iPod so you can drown out that baby crying in the seat behind you and the lady yelling to her friend across the isle.

An open mind: There are certain expectations that come with spring break, but . The weather not working out in your favor? Make the best of it. Never been surfing? Sign up for a lesson. Get stuck in the middle seat on the road trip to your destination? At least you are on the way to your spring break vacation.

Headphones: You sometimes need a break from your friends, family, or strangers next to you in the airport. Plug in and ignore everyone. It’s spring break, you deserve it.

Snacks: Cheezits? M&Ms? Whatever is your favorite. Everyone knows spring break calories don’t count.

What students say

http://instagram.com/p/zxzyDFEJUD/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/z3SbfukJS4/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/z-oC2tEJcY/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/0DrNSjkJaj/?modal=true

Collegian Interactive News Team can be reached at socialmedia@collegian.com or on Twitter @CollegianC.