Group of students participating in an art class while at school in the North East of England. They are using modelling clay and a teacher is helping them through the process.
The Influence of Art Education on Student Development

Education as a whole has always played an important role in the development and formation of the individual. Art education has an even greater...

Top five local concerts over winter break

Winter Break offers the opportunity to do something many students don’t get to do often during the semester–attend concerts. While in classes, many of us have to make the heartbreaking choice between responsibility and seeing your favorite band live on a Wednesday night. Break offers us the chance to see the people we love guilt-free without worrying about papers and quizzes, projects or tests. This is a time of New Year’s Eve shows and homecomings for many local bands, so we’ve taken the liberty of rating the top five Colorado bands you need to see over Winter Break. Whether you take our suggestions or not, take this time off to go out and listen to the tunes Colorado musicians have to offer.

5. New Year’s Eve with Head for the Hills

Dec. 31, Aggie, Fort Collins

$20

Doors: 8 p.m.

A great local bluegrass band with a unique indie sound.  They were named the “Best in Colorado Bluegrass” by a Westword Showcase Readers Poll. This show should be a fun way to ring in the new year for people who will still be close to campus and like some rockin’ mandolin.

4. Aspen Hourglass

Jan. 4, Aggie, Fort Collins

21+: Free, Under 21: $10

Doors: 8 p.m.

It’s a free show! Well, free for those of you lucky enough to be over 21. It is still cheap for youngsters who are a bit less legal. Aspen Hourglass has an alternative rock sound. Their website promises live shows that are “intense with energy.”

3. The Epilogues

Dec. 20, The Marquis Theatre, Denver

$10-12

Doors: 7 p.m.

One of the best concert experiences is when a band returns for a hometown show. The Epilogues began in Denver in 2006 and have since gained listeners nationwide. Their experimental rock sound can be heard in their most popular song, “Hunting Season,” the music video of which has over 120,000 views on YouTube. This show is a great opportunity to listen to quality music and celebrate the new found freedom that comes with the end of finals week.

2. Flobots

Dec. 31, The Marquis Theatre, Denver

$28-32

Doors: 8 p.m.

The Flobots are a favorite all over the state and nationally. Combining rock and hip hop sounds, Flobots create music that is noticeably different from all others. Their song “Handlebars” has over six million plays on Spotify and the video has over 12 million views on YouTube. Their website is filled with comments from people all over asking them to come to places like Florida, Montreal and Germany. This show is being called the “Time Traveler’s Ball,” and promises an unforgettable New Year.

1. Roniit

Jan. 11, Bluebird Theatre, Denver

$10-12

Doors: 8 p.m.

Her website describes her as “an independent Dark Electro Pop artist hailing from the mountains of Colorado.” She travelled internationally to work with DJs in both America and the UK. For those wondering about the unique name, according to her, it is Israeli and translates to “girl of the song.” The mix of electronica and Roniit’s soulful voice creates a sound that is beautiful and exciting. This show simply cannot be missed.

Collegian Entertainment Reporter McKenna Ferguson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.