The Chocolate Loft Review

The Chocolate Loft sells a lot more than chocolate. They provide customers with the gourmet PB&J experience and offer a wide variety of toppings to spice up the traditional sandwich.

The Chocolate Loft is located above Cold Stone Creamery and offers warmer and more savory treats than its roommate.

Aside from selling various chocolate desserts, they offer made-to-order grilled gourmet PB&J sandwiches. After sampling their food, it appears that they are a few ingredients short of the perfect dish.

The price for building your own sandwich starts at $4 and each ingredient is $0.50 extra. They also have speciality sandwiches with pre-selected combinations that range from $5.65 to $6.95.

On the low end of the price spectrum is the Annie, which features potato chips, a dill pickle and peanut butter. The lofty Elvis, made with strawberry jam, bacon, Nutella, bananas and peanut butter, is the most expensive.

On one hand, I want to come back and try all the different possible flavors, but besides the Pumpkin Pie sandwich that incorporates pie crust, there is nothing I cannot make quicker and cheaper at home.

Naturally, the menu favors sweeter treats. This would be perfectly fine if they did not close at 5 p.m., which severely limits the cafe’s late night snack potential.

The unique menu also lacks unique beverages. The hot coffee and tea come out of a Keurig and the cold bottled water and soda come from a cooler.

The first time I attempted to sample their food, I was barred because the sun had already set. On the second trip around, I opted for a savory sandwich at midday.

For my lunch, I ordered the “Hot” PB&J, which is made with cherry jalapeño jelly, bacon, jalapeños and peanut butter. The sandwich was sweet, spicy, salty, creamy and crunchy.

The flavor profiles of the ingredients harmonized perfectly. My tastebuds have never experienced such a wonderful concoction before. However, my hands were less pleased with my dish. While it was nice to have a warm meal, the grilling process worsened the structural integrity of the sandwich.

Rather than being like a soft sponge and absorbing the jam, the brittle bread created a multitude of holes for the ingredients to leak out. The heat also broke down the jam and butter, making it steadily drip onto the plate.

With classical rock hits on the radio and a warm rustic decor, The Chocolate Loft could be your new sweet tooth study hangout. But with only a handful of chairs, the intimate atmosphere may be a little too cozy.

The cafe has been open for little over a month and the friendly staff is eager for some feedback. I sincerely hope that there is nowhere to go but up. With little incentive to return at the moment, The Chocolate Loft is a hidden gem that needs some polishing before it can really shine.

Collegian Entertainment Reporter Jefferson Geiger can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.