CSU races towards fourth annual Veteran’s Day 5K

Over 100 people will run through campus Saturday to honor U.S. veterans in the fourth annual Veteran’s Day 5K run.

The event, put on by the Adult Learner and Veteran Services (ALVS) at CSU, honors a different member of our armed forces each year. This year, CSU will honor Chief Warrant Officer Kenneth “Ryan” White. White was killed while supporting Task Force Tiger Shark in Operation Enduring Freedom on June 5, 2011.

According to Janella Mildrexler, the assistant director of ALVS, they are expecting hundreds of people to attend the event. She said there has been 350 runners in the past, although last year there were fewer than 100 runners.

“I think it’s going to depend on the weather,” Mildrexler said.

The event is an opportunity for community members to volunteer and give back to the men and women who serve our country.

Rees York, a sophomore civil engineering major who is in Air Force ROTC, plans to volunteer Saturday morning. York said he decided to volunteer because veterans are really important to him.

The 5K run also acts as a fundraiser for a scholarship for CSU students.

“All the money we raise goes towards this special cause,” York said.

The scholarship goes to a veteran student at CSU who was honorably or medically discharged and now lives with disabilities related to their military service.

“We can never extend our thanks enough, I believe,” York said.

Elizabeth Ramsdell, a freshman health and exercise science major, is not running in the 5K because she is going home that weekend. She said she still supports the cause, but from a distance.

“If anyone should get a scholarship, it should be a veteran with a disability who got that disability serving our country,” Ramsdell said.

York said it is important to take time to appreciate the men and women who serve our country.

“All of our veterans are really special and we need to honor them,” York said.

The 5K is only the beginning of the day of honoring veterans, according to York. He said after the 5K run, there will be a ceremony honoring veterans at a memorial in Fort Collins.

“I’m hoping one day I’ll be able to call myself a veteran,” York said.

Ramsdell said it is good to show thanks to veterans through many different channels.

“Hopefully veterans will know we’re thankful and that CSU loves them collaboratively with other things,” Ramsdell said.

The Veteran’s Day 5K starts Saturday on the Oval at 9 a.m. Registration is online or before the race from 8:00-8:45 a.m.

To see a preview of the actual race, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfD6dVNKkbM&feature=youtu.be

Collegian Entertainment Assistant Editor Amber Johnson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.