El Centro prepares for wave of events for Latinx Heritage Month

In celebration of LatinX Heritage Month, El Centro has compiled a series of events between Sept. 15 and Oct. 11 that showcase a variety of aspects of LatinX culture and heritage.

Claudia Hernandez enjoys the company of her friends, Angelica Cruz and Sonia Cortez Tuesday afternoon in the El Centro office. Much the time Hernandez and other CSU students spend in El Centro is about meeting like-minded people and building relationships. (Collegian file photo)

Fernando Montelongo, Family Leader of El Centro’s La Conexión says the month is incredibly important for all members of the LatinX community.

“It’s a time to celebrate our heritage, our history and our culture,” Montelongo said. “Every single Latin America country is important to us. . . . Everybody’s included here, everybody’s welcome. We try to include a little bit of every culture here as well as addressing topics and issues that are relevant to our community.”

International studies major and El Centro member Alexis Watson says as a Latina, it’s empowering to be able to see her cultural identity as a focal point of CSU and seen as something to celebrate.

“I think it’s super important to have these events to celebrate LatinX month,” Watson said. “(The events) are able to better educate other CSU students and community members more about a culture that has been the subject of today’s incredibly heated political climate.”

Economics and ethnic studies student Andrew Oviedo and El Centro member works as a resident assistant in Braiden and looks for ways to relay Heritage Month back to his residents.

“Last year I did an informational board about the icons and importance of LatinX culture and what it means,” Oviedo said. “I also like to take my students to different events around campus or town and try to promote some level of education around the culture. I think what revolves around this is the education piece and that celebration of what it means to be LatinX or Hispanic in the United States and how to cherish it.”

A complete list of Latinx Heritage Month events are available at www.elcentro.colostate.edu

Oviedo says he encourages students to check out El Centro which he describes as an inclusive community that provides a hub for the LatinX community but is not exclusive to it.

Applied computing technology major Keabeth Gonzalez celebrates LatinX Heritage Month by making traditional Mexican food but also hanging out with her fellow LatinX students at El Centro and participating in Las Comadres, a Latina group.

“This group is for finding a community,” said Gonzalez. “Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming to go somewhere that’s not as easily as relatable as here, where there are people from the same area or understand the same slangs or jokes.”

Gonzalez mentioned her and other LatinX students are working on unveiling a mural following the month of events.

Here are some notable events to look forward to during LatinX Heritage Month.

Latinx rock band Café Tacvba will put on a concert at the Mishiwaka Theater during Latinx Heritage Month. (Photo provided by El Centro)

Café Tacvba Concert

Sept. 15, doors open at 6 p.m., show begins at 8 p.m., Mishawaka Theater

Mexican alternative rock band, Café Tacvba will be kicking off the month with a special performance held at the Mishawaka Amphitheatre. In addition, El Centro has allowed CSU students to get half-price shuttle rides to the venue (originally $22, now $11). Students may even be able to win free tickets by following the Facebook pages for El Centro, La Conexión, and Las Comadres. Tickets may be purchased at themishawaka.com, and the password elcentro will take off $5.

Where Do I Belong in My LatinX Community? A Pilgrimage of Self Discovery

Sept. 18 1:30-2:45 p.m., Lory Student Center in El Centro

Students not yet acquainted with El Centro have the opportunity to learn about the organization and its goals. They can also share their experiences of being a LatinX student at CSU.

Medtronic Careers That Save Lives

Sept. 21 12-1 p.m., Lory Student Center 226-28

Medtronic (world leader in the medical devices industry) provides insight to potential candidates interested in the Medtronic Internship Summer Program in Colorado.

Julio Salgado and Yosimar Reyes Presentation/Reception

Oct. 9, 5:30-8 p.m., 5:30-6:30 p.m., Lory Student Center Longs Peak room and room 376-78.

A presentation about the intersectionality of LatinX and Queer identities will be held at the Lory Student Center Longs Peak. Afterward from 6:45-8 p.m. a reception will be hosted in LSC 376-78.

Dinner and Dance

Oct. 11, 5-8 p.m., Ram’s Horn

To close off the month, the CSU and local community are invited to partake in a variety of LatinX cuisine and music. Guests will also have the chance to learn how to salsa dance. Admission will be $7 for staff and faculty and $12.50 for the general community.

Henry Netherland can be reached at entertainment@.com or on Twitter @NetherlandHenry.