David Roddy shines in men’s basketball Border War win

In their first conference conference game back at Moby Arena in 2020, the Colorado State men’s basketball team took care of their battle on Saturday in a Border War matchup against the University of Wyoming. This Border War was more of a massacre, as the Rams demolished Wyoming 72-61. Some garbage time Wyoming points made the game look closer than it was. CSU had a firm grip on the game the entire way and even led by as many as 20 points

David Roddy was the story of this game. The 6-foot-5-inch freshman got off to an extremely hot start and finished the game with a career-high 19 points on 7-11 shooting. He also had a career high in rebounds with 13.

Roddy continues to be physically imposing on the court no matter the opponent. An early and-one dunk, a block on an opponent fall-away jump shot and a block off the backboard emphasized his intimidating presence.

Roddy had a scare late in the game. While attempting to take a charge with 1:42 left in the game, Roddy hit the floor grimacing. He limped off the court, clearly favoring his right leg. Luckily, after leaving for the locker room, Roddy quickly returned to the game. This game marks the fourth consecutive game that Roddy has scored 17 points or more in.

“(Roddy) has got to continue to grow, but we’ve been a better team when he’s been out on the court,” coach Niko Medved said.

Nico Carvacho had a sneaky good game. He finished with nine points and 12 rebounds. Carvacho had some foul trouble early but led the team out of the gate in the second half. Those quietly good performances are always valuable to have from star players. However, Carvacho is going to have to improve from the free-throw line.

His 1-7 effort from the free-throw line led to thunderous applause from the crowd after his sole make. Carvacho was good-hearted about the ovation and laughed it off, but charity stripe improvement will be key for Carvacho for the rest of the season.

The young starting backcourt also had another good offensive game. Isaiah Stevens was second on the team with 17 points, and Kendle Moore added three 3-pointers.
CSU had a very balanced attack. They started the game off strong in the paint and transition, and they later showed they can be a force from deep. This balanced attack will need to continue when the Rams travel to play San Jose State on Saturday, Jan. 11.

Adam Thistlewood is expected to return to action in that game. Thistlewood has been nursing a high ankle sprain and is expected to rejoin the starting group. With Roddy’s impressive play lately, Kris Martin is the likely candidate to return to the bench unit. Martin came off the bench in the overtime thriller against Tulsa on Dec. 21 and shined as a sixth man last season.

“We are energy guys coming off the bench, so now we have to start with that energy in the starting lineup,” Roddy said. “My game (progress has) just been more comfortable on the floor and being around these guys and trusting them as they trust me.”

Bailey Bassett can be reached at sports@collegian.com or @baileybassett_ on Twitter.