After very successful season, Colorado State baseball heading to regionals

After finishing the regular season with an outstanding conference record (13-2) and going 22-10 overall, the Rams won the Mid-America-West conference. The Rams did not just win the conference, they beat the second-place team, Wyoming, by five games. Now, the team is on their way to Kearney, Nebraska for the Mid-America Regionals.

Relief pitcher Daniel Terao ranks third in the National Club Baseball Association in saves (3) and has high expectations for his team.

“Winning conference is always an expectation, but I’m really excited for the postseason this year,” Terao said. “Last year, it was so disappointing losing in regionals, especially with the team and talent we had. This year, I’m really excited and confident about regionals.”

Outfielder Brandon DeLay added on to the excitement of going to regionals.

“We are super excited to head back to the Regional Tournament in Kearney,” DeLay said.

Colorado State University is the number-one seed heading into the tournament. The Rams will play the number-four seed, Iowa State. ISU finished second in the Mid-America-North conference (12-3). Overall, ISU finished 15-7 and scored 167 runs.

CSU had a dominant season across the board. The Rams scored 296 runs on the season — leading the NCBA — and only allowed 193 runs. The next closest team was the University of Colorado, Boulder, who scored 154 runs.

“We have the number one offense in the nation,” Terao said. “Our defense is lights out, and our pitching is starting to heat up just in time for playoffs.”

Adding to the overall success of the team, two players earned the National Player of the Week award. DeLay and pitcher Jack Rozecki each were awarded after great outings.

Several players on the CSU roster are in the top 10 in the nation in hitting stats for the NCBA. DeLay ranks number one in the nation in at-bats (93), followed by fellow Rams Caleb Zietlow (85), Mack Morford (84) and Ryan Schones (77). Morford ranks second in home runs (7) and DeLay ranks third (6). DeLay ranked number one in hits (41) and Schones ranked number seven (31).

“We have been preparing all season for this weekend,” DeLay said. “We feel confident that we have the ability to win our region and head to North Carolina for the World Series.”

If the Rams stick to their winning ways, they have the potential to play three games. The first game starts at 4:00 p.m. Friday, May 10.

“This is my second regionals in my second year playing for CSU, and I can tell that it’s not going to be disappointing,” Terao said. “I’m super excited, to say the least.”

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire.