Preston Williams out, Rashaad Boddie in for Saturday scrimmage

Colorado State Rams’ fans will have their first opportunity to see the 2018 team in action Saturday at the first of two preseason scrimmages. The offense-defense scrimmage begins at 1:00 p.m. at Canvas Stadium.

The highly anticipated debut of Tennessee transfer Preston Williams in a CSU uniform will have to be put off a little longer. The wide receiver suffered a minor groin injury during practice on Thursday and will most likely be held out for precautionary reasons. Williams was seen at practice on Friday and head coach Mike Bobo does not believe the setback is very serious.

“He’s got decent strength,” Bobo said. “He kind of felt something earlier in practice (on Thursday) and then came back and practiced a few more periods and then hurt it in the one-on-one drill in the red zone. I think he’s close to being able to go but we’ll probably hold him.”

With Williams sidelined, it should be interesting to see what receivers Warren Jackson and Nikko Hall have in store.

Jackson made some noise as a freshman last season and will likely get plenty more looks in 2018. The lengthy wideout recorded 15 receptions for 265 yards and two touchdowns in 2017.

“This morning I was rewatching practice and I thought it was Preston (Williams) running a route and it was Warren (Jackson),” Bobo said. “The guy is just really learning how to run and the mechanics of running. He’s a 6’6 guy so sometimes it’s awkward. But Coach Whitted has really done a nice job of working on his running mechanics. He’s improving daily.”

Though he steps into a crowded receiving core, Hall’s speed gives him the ability to be a playmaker immediately. The 6’0 freshman was rated as a three-star recruit and held offers from a plethora of FBS programs including Michigan State, USC, and UCLA.

“We are pushing him and we are putting him out in situations and he’s doing some good things,” Bobo said. “He’s got some skill set. The guy is very, very smart.

Bobo also announced following Friday’s practice that sophomore running back Rashaad Boddie has been lifted from his suspension and will participate in the scrimmage. Boddie was the Rams’ third-leading carrier as a freshman. The running back collected 254 rushing yards last season on 44 carries.

Though Boddie’s fumble in overtime ultimately lost the game against Boise State last season, Boddie showcased his potential against the Broncos. Boddie gathered up 92 total yards on 14 touches against Boise State while finding the endzone twice.

With the graduation of Dalyn Dawkins, Boddie has the opportunity to be CSU’s leading running back behind Izzy Matthews.

In addition to Williams, defensive lineman Toby Mcbride, wide receiver Darius Wise, cornerback Christian Cumber, and cornerback Darius Campbell are injured and will be limited at best on Saturday.

Though the scrimmage will be competitive, it will not have much of a real-game feel to it. Bobo doesn’t anticipate running much of the Rams’ playbook.