Hassan adds another accolade to his illustrious legacy at Colorado State

Mamadou Balde

Mostafa Hassan has added yet another accolade to the final year of his career at Colorado State.

The former NCAA National Champion has been named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches’ Association (USTFCCCA) Indoor Field Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Hassan recently graduated from CSU with a degree in mechanical engineering and finished with a 3.37 cumulative GPA.

Senior Mostafa Hassan competes in the weight throw at the CU Open in Boulder on Feb. 3, 2018. Hassan won the event with a throw of 18.87m (61′ 11″). (Jack Starkebaum | Collegian)

Hassan is now the 18th Ram to earn an individual all-academic honor. No other athlete in CSU history has received this honor from the USTFCCCA. Student-athletes must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 to be eligible for USTFCCCA All-Academic honors. Student athletes must also finish the indoor season ranked among the top 96 in their individual events or compete in any round of the NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships which includes preliminaries.

Senior Jerrell Mock also received all-academic honors. Mock was named a Google Cloud Academic All-American for the second consecutive year.

In addition to the announcement of Hassan’s accolade, the USTFCCCA announced that both the men’s and women’s track and field team were named all-academic teams. To qualify for the honor, teams must have competed at their respective national championships and maintained a team GPA of at least 3.0. The women’s team finished with a higher GPA than the men’s team with a 3.32 while the men recorded a 3.09 GPA.

The USTFCCCA also ranked CSU No. 9 in its program of the year standings. CSU finished the 2017 indoor season with a 16th-place finish at the NCAA Indoor Championships, the second-best finish in program history. 

Collegian sports reporter Mamadou Balde can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @mamadoubalde62.