CSU softball game suspended due to darkness, play to resume tomorrow

It appears that last week’s snowstorm was not Mother Nature’s only way of interrupting the Colorado State women’s softball teams’ start to conference play.

The second game of Friday’s doubleheader between the Rams (14-13, 0-1 MW) and visiting Boise State (9-26, 1-6 MW) has been suspended due to darkness. Both teams will resume play tomorrow, a day on which they were already slated to play the third and final game of the series. Play will resume in the bottom of the sixth inning with the Rams hitting and the score knotted at 7-7.

Prior to play being suspended, Friday’s nightcap was an offensive showcase. Both teams combined for 14 runs, 17 hits, and four home runs. The Broncos and Rams exchanged rallies multiple times and the game featured several lead changes and ties before the umpires convened and called off play.

Boise State capitalized on several CSU miscues, including a dropped fly ball, a walk, and a hit batter, capping the first inning off with a sacrifice fly to take an early 1-0 lead. The Rams, however, would rally, as left fielder Kristina Akiona drove in Taryn Arcarese on a RBI single and then Hannah McCorkhill brought her around to give CSU a 2-1 lead in the bottom half of the inning.

Trailing once again 3-2 in the bottom of the second, Madison Kilcrese delivered a leadoff home run that sparked a three-run second inning for the Rams and chased Broncos starting pitcher Shawna Burke off the mound after just two innings of work.

The Broncos tied it again in their top half of the third inning on a two-run shot by Corey Hendrickson that smacked into the flag pole located just behind the center field wall.

The Rams retook the lead once again on a two-run blast by catcher Jaelyn Manzanares, but the Broncos staged another rally in the top of the sixth to knot the game at 7-7.

Bridgette Hutton started on the mound for CSU. The freshman right-hander worked into the fifth inning, giving up five runs on only three hits while walking three batters. The Rams made four errors in the field, including two in the sixth inning that allowed the Broncos to deadlock the game shortly before darkness fell.

Boise State defeated CSU in the first game of the doubleheader, 7-6. The two teams will finish the suspended second game tomorrow afternoon before playing the third and final game of the series.

The Rams are in the midst of a busy six-game homestretch over four days as the San Jose Spartans will be in Fort Collins for three games Sunday and Monday.

Collegian Sports Reporter Michael Roley can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @michael_roley.