15th straight win for No. 15 CSU with sweep at New Mexico

The number “15” seems to be working for the No. 15 ranked CSU volleyball team who just successfully added a 15th straight win to its record.

Playing on the road against the University of New Mexico did not disrupt the Rams’ focus considering they swept the Lobos in three sets (25-10, 26-24, 25-18).

The Rams dominated throughout the first set, only allowing seven kills from the Lobos. The Rams finished the first set off of an 8-0 run capped off by a kill from Acacia Andrews who had six kills and seven blocks on the night. CSU volleyball took the first set 25-10.

It appeared as though the second set was going to be a repeat of the first set after the Rams took the lead 17-10, but the Lobos came back looking to even things up.

UNM reached set point at 24-23, but Acacia Andrews knotted up the second set at 24 with a kill. Two errors from the Lobos gift wrapped the set for the Rams, and CSU went up 2-0 in the match.

CSU took the lead early in the third set, and was ready for the sweep. The Rams went up 15-10 due to three solo blocks from Alexandra Poletto who finished the match with nine blocks and five kills.

The Rams out-blocked UNM 16-4. Poletto’s nine blocks led the Rams, and Andrews followed behind with seven. The defensive play tonight for CSU kept UNM’s hitting percentage down to a mere .054.

UNM could not stop CSU from finishing off the third set between the blocks on behalf of Andrews and Poletto, and kills coming from Alex Reid. Reid led the team in kills, finishing with 10 and Jasmine Hanna followed with nine.

The Rams took the set 25-18 off of Adrianna Cullbert’s eighth kill of the night, and added another sweep to CSU volleyball’s record (21-3, 14-0 MW).

Now, the Rams head back home to Colorado in order to prepare to take on San Jose State later this week. CSU won against San Jose 3-1 on Oct. 17 on the road earlier this season. The teams meet Thursday at 7 p.m. at Moby Arena.

Collegian Sports Reporter Pia Myers can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByPiaMyers.