CSU baseball headed to NCBA World Series after winning regional championship

Members of the Colorado State baseball team celebrate their 5-2 victory over Iowa in Sunday's regional championship game. The Rams now advance to the NCBA World Series May 23rd in Tampa, Fla.
Members of the Colorado State baseball team celebrate their 5-2 victory over Iowa in Sunday’s regional championship game. The Rams now advance to the NCBA World Series May 23rd in Tampa, Fla.

While most Rams were showing off their underwear at Friday’s annual Undie Run or taking shelter from the unwelcome snow, the CSU baseball team was getting work done.

The six-time national champions are heading to the National Club Baseball Association World Series for the first time since 2012 after winning three straight at the regional tournament in Topeka, Kansas.

CSU kicked off the weekend Friday night  with a 12-1 victory over the University of Missouri. Pitcher Riley Hughes had another dominating game on the mound, pitching a full seven innings and allowing a single run and two hits. The Hughes  family had another victory before the weekend was over, but fellow hurlers Travis Childs and Alex Marshall gave them respite Saturday afternoon.

The Rams’ second game, scheduled for noon on Saturday, was delayed in the middle of the seventh inning due to a  hail storm. After allowing themselves to fall behind 3-1 after the fourth inning, the Rams dug themselves out of a hole, scoring  three runs in the seventh inning to win the game 6-3.

Childs pitched seven full innings, allowing just two earned runs, and Marshall came in to seal the victory in the eighth inning.

Winning their first two games sent the Rams to the championships round against Iowa. With their bid to the NCBA World Series in Tampa Bay, Fla., at stake, the Rams put the younger Hughes, Tate, back on the mound.

Matt Davis’ two-run homer in the second inning put the Rams on the board first, and gave them the spark to finish out the weekend strong. A 5-2 victory in their second consecutive game versus the Hawkeyes sends the Rams to the NCBA World Series beginning May 23.

The World Series berth is the 10th in program history, and winning it all would give them their seventh championship, all since 2004. As one of the most prestigious club programs in the country, the Rams again plan on cementing themselves as one of the nation’s elite teams.

For scores and updates, follow the team on Twitter @CSUbaseball.

Collegian Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @c_rasta5.