CSU women’s hockey defeats CU 2-1 in overtime

On an upright shot off the stick of senior Jamie Winter, the CSU women’s hockey team defeated CU–Boulder for its fourth win against the Buffaloes on Friday night.

CU did everything it could except stop the CSU offense, which led to the Buffs from the first period. It was not until a second period power play goal did CU to tie the game and eventually force overtime. The extra five minutes was plenty of time for the Rams. Winter put the game away with 2:25 to play in overtime, winning 2-1 over their in-state rival.

“This is something we could not have dreamed of doing when we were freshmen on this team,” Winter said. “We got slaughtered by this team every year and it’s really fun to go out and show them that we are a good hockey team now. Tonight’s win proved Colorado State is better.”

Friday’s match up between the Colorado rivals was CSU’s senior night and last home game of the season at the Edora Pool and Ice Center. Recognizing seven seniors before the puck dropped, CSU went into the game with the extra drive it needed to win.

The Rams were an uncharacteristically  dominant team in the offensive zone, testing CU goalie Sarah Mullen nearly 60 times.

“It was absolutely huge,” head coach Chris Burch said. “Always coming off strong in the beginning makes it that much harder for the opponent to take control. We really just rode the momentum as long as we could.”

Scoring opportunities came one after the other in the first period. Because of the constant attack to the net, senior Alexandra Kuhn scored the first goal just five minutes into play, taking the lead midway into the second period.

“That was the greatest feeling ever,” Kuhn said. “There is nothing more that we want to do that beat CU on our senior night and especially in our last home game for a bunch of us. It felt great.”

With 9:24 to play in the second period, CU tied the game at one. From that point on, the momentum changed between the two teams. The puck dropped in the third period with 20 minutes to claim a victor. That time was not enough, the Rams and Buffaloes went to overtime.

“We were kind of coming up with plays, our coach was just trying to motivate us,” Kuhn said. “It was mostly figuring out who was going to go out and then just how are we going to win this.”

What Burch said to the players before overtime began was just enough momentum to win the game.

“It is a relief, that was a stressful game and refereeing was questionable,” Burch said. “To be honest we played our hearts out and we should have scored more than we did but their goalie was amazing. It was great to break through in the end.”

CSU finished the season with a victory over CU on Saturday in Boulder. The Rams won 3-0, ending the season against the Buffaloes at 5-0. The win in Boulder gave CSU a 10-game winning streak over CU.

“It is amazing that we all pulled through and we able to work as a team and get it done,” Kuhn said.

Collegian Assistant Sports Editor Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @haleighhamblin.