CSU women’s lacrosse cements No.1 ranking in Mile High Invitational

The CSU women's lacrosse team practices on the West Lawn wednesday afternoon. The Rams will play in the Mile High Invitational this weekend in Boulder.
The CSU women’s lacrosse team practices on the West Lawn wednesday afternoon. The Rams will play in the Mile High Invitational this weekend in Boulder.

This weekend’s Mile High Invitational in Boulder proved who the best team in the Women’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association is.

The CSU women’s lacrosse team maintained its No.1 ranking after defeating No. 2 Georgia 16-6 and No. 3 Michigan 14-6 at the Mile High Invitational in Boulder.

Ranked first since the beginning of the season, CSU has continued to meet the expectations of the top spot.
The Rams came into the three game series undefeated, and continue now as the only team undefeated in the league after dominating No. 2 Georgia,  No. 3 Michigan  and No. 13 Santa Clara.
Not wasting any time, CSU continued to add up goal after goal against No.13 Santa Clara Friday, winning 17-8.
“I think we knew it would the easiest game of the three,” Coach Lindsey Hudek said. “It was important to come out strong and confident, to never let up.”
Looking for revenge after a embarrassing loss during the 2012 season, CSU entered the Michigan game with extra motivation.
And revenge is what CSU got. Outscoring No.3 Michigan 16-6. There was no chance for a comeback.
“We got creamed by Michigan before,” Hudek said. “Really wanted revenge.”
Headed into invitational, the Rams were the only team besides No.2 Georgia that remained undefeated
With no one player on the team standing out, head coach Hudek acknowledges that their team plays as a team. And continually works to pick everyone up.
“When we get up that high, it worries me that we will give up,” Hudek said. “We were watched by so many other teams … the pressure was on us this past weekend. Had to prove we were a good team.”
The only undefeated team in the nation, the Rams increased their gap between the No.2 and No.3 teams.
With another big weekend ahead of play, CSU will focus on transitioning the ball faster to distance the other teams from catching up.
The CSU women’s lacrosse team will head to Salt Lake City next weekend to take on Westminister, BYU and Utah.
The first game of the series will take place on Friday April 5 at 6 p.m. against Westminister, and will continue through Saturday.
“I think BYU is the next best team in the league,” Hudek said. “I am gonna work on the fundamentals with the team … and hope we can work on moving the ball faster.”
Women’s Lacrosse Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.