Ortiz: Keep hate groups out of CSU

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

The Proud Boys are a violence driven, privileged and hate driven group of men who were rumored visited Colorado State University in order to protest Bernie Sanders speaking at CSU. According to the New York Public Radio, Proud Boys have a history of charging and physically assaulting protestors. They are also known for appearing alongside hate groups at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

There is no place for hateful, racist and misogynistic groups at CSU. The warning that they may present on our campus is enough to cause concern, and the fact that our University can do little to nothing to prevent them from coming is extremely alarming. 

Jason Kessler, who is a former Proud Boys member, organized the Charlottesville event which brought Klansmen, Southern racists and anti-semites together. This rally led to two state troopers’ death and a man drove his car through a crowd of protesters, killing one and injuring 19 others.  

CSU students will not stand for hatred, racism, sexism, homophobia and anti-Muslim views. CSU will not stand for nooses being hung to target a black resident assistantCSU will no longer stand for anti-Jewish messages around campus.

CSU is not a place of hate. 

President Tony Frank has sent out multiple emails stating that the CSU community will not accept these acts of hate any longer.

As a woman of color, I should not be afraid to make a five minute walk from the Lory Student Center to my dormitory because a group of hateful white supremacists are allowed to enter our campus.

No one can tell me that I have no right to be afraid of a group of men who hate and stand against everything I am.

There is true fear, as a woman and a person of color, knowing that there are individuals who not only hate me, but will also act on their hate.

I should not have to text my friends and call them telling them to text me when they get home. We should not have to be told and warned not to walk around campus alone. 

As a Resident Assistant, there is no need that I should be sending a group message to my residents and letting them know that a white supremacist group could be on campus. They shouldn’t have to worry about their safety.

It is a nightmare worrying about the well-being of my friends and loved ones knowing they will be targeted due to the color of their skin, their gender and their religion.

It is infuriating knowing that the majority of the CSU community does not and will never understand this fear since we are a predominately white campus and many hold privileged identities.

Many students and staff can empathize by feeling angry, but fear and anger are not the same.

It is one thing to empathize and be a support for targeted communities, but the experience of a marginalized individual can never be reached with empathy.

CSU already has to deal with Dennis Prager visiting our campus Oct. 29, who endorses Donald Trump. Prager has shared his views on how people of color use the “race card,” in specific the “Black card,” and use it for personal gain, completely dismissing the oppression against people of color. Prager also holds homophobic views that same-sex marriage leads to polygamy and incest.

I am disappointed and angry knowing that these individuals were on our campus and am even more infuriated that there are people at CSU who share their views.

Do not dare dismiss my fear and anger or label it as dramatic because you do not understand it.

It is a fear that is going to follow me and other marginalized identities for the rest of our lives. If you cannot say the same then don’t say anything at all.

Kenia Ortiz can be reached at letters@collegain.com or online at @Kenia_Ortiz_

*Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article stated that the Proud Boys were on campus, and has since been corrected. There was no confirmation that this group was present at the event, only warnings