On-campus salon offers students a cheap and convenient alternative

Video by CTV News reporter Kaitlyn Connolly

For students who want a haircut, but live on campus and on a college budget, the newly reopened James Campus Salon in the Lory Student Center offers an alternative.

The Aveda concept salon has artists with individual styles.

“(The stylists) get a lot more freedom to be creative,” said James Lobato, owner of the salon. “It’s a fun environment so it helps young stylists develop their own style.”

Communications sophomore, Austin Carrese checks out his new hairdo as Alex Richardson cuts his hair at the new on-campus salon in the Lory Student Center. (Photo credit: Emma Brokaw)

Lobato owns four locations throughout Northern Colorado and had his salon located in the pre-renovated LSC. According to Lobato, the on-campus sites are more fast paced and have been very successful.

Every stylist working at his salon has graduated cosmetology school and is a licensed professional hair dresser.

“To compare (cosmetology license) to college it is like getting your bachelor’s degree,” Lobato said. “But then, to get better you keep having advanced training and that’s what we do.”

Stylist Emily Burr said she prefers working at an on-campus salon than an off-campus one.

“It is very busy and exciting,” Burr said. “It is very cool to interact with the college students. We aren’t students ourselves but we have a lot of friends here so it is nice to see our friends.”

Some students may not see the necessity for an on-campus salon, but it is seen as an asset to students living on campus as well as those unwilling to pay for a full price salon treatment. CSU students are able to use their ram cash as a form of payment.

CSU freshman Caroline Jones said she appreciates the convenient location of the salon and plans on utilizing it in the future.

“I do not have a car, and going places like the store or a salon can be a big hassle that I just put off,” Jones said. “Having an option to just get those errands out of the way without leaving campus makes it easier so I will actually do it. And the lower prices don’t hurt.”

Stylist Rikki Reynolds said the focus of the salon is on the client.

“I think if people have not been here before and are wondering if they want to try it or not they definitely should because Aveda is all about the client experience.” Reynolds said. “We do the complimentary scalp massage before all of our hair cuts and for men we do the hot towel on the face. You’re going to feel really pampered which is nice with school stress.”

Collegian Reporter Danielle Jauregui can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter @danij27.

CTV News Reporter Kaitlyn Connolly can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter @CTVKaitlyn