CSU engineering students show off hard work at showcase

Hundreds of viewers gathered in small groups by Moby Arena to ask questions about the various contraptions, devices and machines that whirred and hovered in cages next to proud soon-to-be-graduates of the CSU College of Engineering at the annual Engineering Senior Design Showcase on Friday.

The CSU College of Engineering hosted a showcase April 25 to present projects completed by engineering seniors about to graduate, with projects ranging in topics related to chemical and biological, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering.

This showcase is a chance for the students to show off their hard work, learn more about their field and network with engineering professionals in attendance.

“It’s a great way for them to get prepared for the industry by testing out different engineering fields and finding out where their interests lie,” said Engineering College Council President Caley Follmer.

The Showcase Committee Head, Schuyler Rideout, added that the event is a chance for the Engineering College Council to do something for the students.

“This is a really great way for us to show what we can do for them,” Rideout said.

Students said that they had a great experience, both in the span of completing their projects and putting them on display for the public.

“It’s a blast,” said senior Ryan Johnson, who worked on a mercury unmanned aerial vehicle. “You learn so much, and different engineering aspects all come together here.”

“It’s been a huge learning experience,” said senior Evan Hoffman, who worked on an intercooler for drones. “People coming to us and asking about out projects is intimidating, but it feels good.”

Follmer said that the showcase is really about applying engineering studies to what they can do in the real world.

“It’s fun seeing the work the seniors have done,” Follmer said. “It’s a great way for students to learn what engineering can do.”

Collegian Reporter Caitlin Curley can be reached at news@collegian.com.