Collegian playlist: 15 songs for Homecoming weekend

Homecoming can be a time to shake off the stress of the past seven weeks on campus, and prepare for weeks to come.

The perfect playlist is an important part of that, but we’re all tired of hearing the same pop songs repeating on the radio. With unexpected twists, and a few songs that have been unfairly forgotten about, here are the some tunes for the best homecoming playlist.

1. Travis Scott – “Flying High”

“Flying High,” a pop song from Travis Scott’s earlier days, is a beautiful mix of synth and drum coming together to complement Scott’s rhythmic and hypnotic flow. A beat that sounds more like Tyler The Creator or Pharrell Williams, “Flying High” is a unique song that is sure to get the blood pumping.

2. Bas & J. Cole – “Tribe”

The beautiful Spanish guitar and maraca on the recently released Bas song “Tribe” is an island inspired banger to combat falling temperatures. Both Bas’ and J. Cole’s verses play well into one another, the varying speeds of their delivery keeping the song varied and completely danceable.

3. Childish Gambino – “Feels Like Summer”

Childish Gambino’s surprise release of “Summerpack” in August gave us two masterpieces of American pop music. Gambino delivers again in “Feels like Sumer” with an intriguing and unique beat, tone-perfect lyrics, and an overall warm feeling. The punching baseline drives the song like a heartbeat. The ad-libs punctuating the background like exotic birds in high trees and the rhythmic lyrics make even the most unwilling hips begin to sway.

4. Lil Wayne – “Comfortable”

Arguably Weezy’s best project to date, “Tha Carter Three” is filled to the brim with trap classics. Certainly one of Lil Wayne’s best love songs, “Comfortable” is a free-flying and easy-going song that is set apart from the rest of the album. The heavy drum line, light guitar and excellent backup chorus make for the perfect end-of-the-night classic to put everyone in a good mood.

5. Drake – “Nonstop”

Tay Keith is an emerging producer in the trap music scene, and some of his best work is put on display on Drake’s “Nonstop”. A song designed to incite mosh pits and stage dives, the bass guided sound is sure to get any pregame to the Old Town bars lit.

Other notable tunes are listed below:

6. A$AP Rocky – “F*ck Sleep”

7. Outkast – “Hootie Hoo” 

8. 21 Savage, Offset, & Metro Boomin – “Ric Flair Drip” 

9. Kanye West – “We Major” 

10. N.E.R.D – “Rock Star” 

11. 2 Chainz – “LAND OF THE FREAKS” 

12. Woodie Smalls – “Planet Shrooms”

13. Vince Staples – “Street Punks” 

14. Queens of the Stone Age – “Do It Again”

Walker Discoe can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @wdiscoe