Knapsack brings home goods, unique buys to Jessup Farm

Walking into Jessup Farm’s newest store Knapsack allows shoppers to explore the little pleasures of home without the florescent lights, messy aisles and confusing layouts of the big box stores. Knapsack provides handpicked home goods and an intimate shopping environment.

The store opened Nov. 1, 2016, and is located in the Jessup Farm Artisan Village off of Timberline Road in Fort Collins between Prospect Road and Drake Road. The local shop is owned by Fort Collins resident Jennifer Little. It is also a sister store to Little’s first shop in Jessup Farm HeyDay, which focuses on women’s apparel.

When HeyDay opened in the artisan village in August 2015, it offered apparel for men, women and kids as well as home goods and gifts. Finding the most customer interest in women’s clothing, Little decided to narrow her focus.

After Vortic Watch, a company that turns antique pocket watches into wrist watches, moved out of Jessup Farm to relocate to a larger shop, Little embraced the opportunity to bring home goods and gifts back to the village.

DSC_0005.JPG
A shelf in Knapsack displays modern throw pillows and kitchen accessories. Photo credit: Nicole Towne

“It was a great opportunity to bring back the home and gift element back to Jessup Farm again, and we wanted to take that opportunity,” Little said.

Opening Knapsack has given Little a chance to return to her interior design roots she established while studying furnishings and interiors at the University of Georgia.

“I always loved design and making your house a home and filling it with great quality pieces,” Little said.

The colorful striped soaps, scented candles, throw-pillows and glassware arranged on shelves, benches and tables brighten the white walled store giving it a life of its own.

Little describes her store as offering easy, effortless and unique home goods for every day. Not only does she want her items to be visually appealing, but she also wants to provide customers with functional and fun items to use day in and day out.

“We want people to really use our stuff, not just have it in their house sitting pretty,” Little said. “It’s functional too.”

The store carries a variety of American made products as well as items that are unique to the shop and the northern Colorado area, such as the eye catching Wary Meyers soaps from Maine, the Boy Smells hand-poured beeswax and coconut wax candles from L.A. and Quin Candy made in Portland.

DSC_0008.JPG
Knapsack features handmade soaps that are unique to the area. Photo credit: Nicole Towne

What separates Knapsack from other homegoods stores is their intimate shopping experience, employee Kayla Molsel said.

“When I see someone walk in, I remember their face and I’m trying to remember names,” Molsel said. “It’s different. I love building that relationship.”

As the holidays are approaching, Little wants to encourage people of all ages to come and check out the new shop. CSU students get 10 percent off their purchase with their student ID. Product prices range from a few dollars to upwards of $200.

“It’s not always easy to find great gifts or a place where you can put together a great gift all in one spot,” Little said. “It’s something we wanted to offer to Fort Collins and this little village.”