NightLife: Finding FoCo – Old Town Character

Old Town Fort Collins has such a unique character to it that, at least in part, it was a determining factor for most students coming to CSU. However, some students never explore and experience it during their stay here in FoCo, which is a real shame.

DSC03496.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover

Studying, homework and other studious activities can lead to cabin fever unless one takes a break from the campus scene and explores the outside world. One of the most convenient and college-friendly places to go for any student is to take a stroll down College Avenue and see Old Town.

DSC03522.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover

There is a lot of art, music, and personality in our Old Town, complete with our own secrets and legends (for example, the Old Town/Main Street U.S.A. connection). As you experience Old Town, don’t waste your time simply going to a bar until odd hours and then heading home — take the time to explore and look for things you’ve never seen before.

DSC03497.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover

Many can probably recognize this alley, a popular stop for studious college students. However, there are even more alleyways and artworks in Old Town, including painted electric boxes. How many can you find?

DSC03500.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03501.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03549.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover

Want to get into the “Old” Town spirit? What better way than getting some old-time candy from the candy store. Hint, there’s more than just Root Beer, a lot more!

DSC03546.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover

Old Town also has it’s own community, with the many shops, regulars, and even homeless that bring humor and good character. You’ll find that even in the physical structures, the good hearts and the love of culture that the people of Old Town have shines through. One example to see and experience is the library boxes, which are great tool for enjoying a book on the plaza.

DSC03541.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover

One of the most entertaining ways to interact with Old Town and the people is to sit down at a piano and play your heart away. Placed at several locations throughout FoCo, these works of art bring energy and emotion to all passerby.

DSC03540.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03512.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover

There’s more to Old Town than just music and painted electric boxes. There are statues, murals, carvings and architecture that bring Old Town to life. All one has to do is go and discover their favorites and share their experience with the community.

DSC03505.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03527.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03535.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover

The love of nature and warm personalities of Old Town are captured in these statues found along College Ave and near the art plaza.

DSC03504.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03515.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03514.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03518.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03530.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03537.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03536.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03543.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover

Murals are everywhere, on buildings, bridges… anywhere! They are a thing of beauty — much better than plain, drab concrete and brick.

DSC03516.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03517.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover

Enjoy a meal out as you see these carvings along restaurants as you pick which delicious and unique cuisine you’d like to try next.

DSC03507.JPG
Photo by Anna Hoover
DSC03531.jpg
Photo by Anna Hoover

Don’t forget to look up as you walk by some of the oldest buildings in Fort Collins. The architecture is complex and unique, giving the street a lot of its character.

Old Town is just a ten-minute walk from campus, but it could be considered the heart of Fort Collins. It would be remorse to live and attend CSU and never fully appreciate the community next door to campus, the culture and personality of Old Town, Fort Collins. Don’t miss it!

Nightlife Writer Anna Hoover can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @Hoovanna_Disny.

Discover any other amazing artwork around town? Share them in our comments or tag @CSUColllegian.