Mexican President proposes change in current cannabis legislation

Peña Nieto at the World Economic Forum (Photo Credit: Wikipedia).

Enrique Pena Nieto, the President of Mexico, has recently changed his standpoint on changing current marijuana legislation. In the past, the leader has been adamant about maintaining strict policy when it comes to cannabis possession.

According to BBC News, he now proposes a bill that would decriminalize a larger amount of the drug and allow for use of medical marijuana. Nieto announced his change of heart just after the United Nations held a general assembly focused on drug policy. 

As of now it is legal to possess 5 grams of marijuana. This change in legislation would allow adults to have up to 28 grams. The bill will move to the Senate for further debate.

“Our country has suffered, as few have, the ill effects of organized crime tied to drug trafficking,” Nieto said Thursday. “Fortunately, a new consensus is gradually emerging worldwide in favor of reforming drug policies. A growing number of countries are strenuously combating criminals, but instead of criminalizing consumers, they offer them alternatives and opportunities.”

If passed prisoners with criminal charges for possession of small amounts of marijuana will be released. To read more about possible new marijuana policy in Mexico, check out the full story.

Collegian Green Report Blogger Capelli D’Angelo can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com.