CSU announces 2019 inductees into Athletics Hall Of Fame

Some of the best athletes to ever walk the grounds of Fort Collins will be a part of the historic class inducted into Colorado State University’s Athletic Hall of Fame on Nov. 1.

The inductees feature two of the best teams ever assembled at CSU as well as seven individuals. The induction will be held in the Stadium Club at Canvas Stadium. CSU will also bring out the class at halftime at the CSU vs. University of Nevada, Las Vegas football game on Saturday, Nov. 2.

Track and field

Inductee– Forrest “Frosty” Harvey

Harvey competed for Colorado Agricultural College and helped CAC finish 11th in the nation in 1933 — the best performance in program history. Harvey was also a driving force in the program’s 1933 and 1935 conference title runs. 

• Placed third in the two mile run at the NCAA Championships to earn his All-American award in 1993.
  • Received All-American award in 1933 for finishing third place in two mile run at NCAA Championships.  

Inductee- Katie Lloyd

Lloyd holds numerous records for her performances from 2005-2008. She is atop the record board for the indoor pentathlon and outdoor pentathlon. Lloyd was second in the indoor long jump, third for outdoor long jump, fourth in the outdoor high jump and fourth for the indoor 60-meter hurdles. Lloyd was fifth in the indoor high jump and seventh in the javelin.

• Earned two All-American honors by taking seventh at the NCAA Championships in the indoor pentathlon.
  • Finished 13th in the outdoor heptathlon in the same year.
  • Won four Mountain West championships — two in pentathlon and two in the heptathlon.

Inductee- Jason Schultz

Schultz was one of the greatest discus throwers in school history. Schultz won the discus title in 2008 at the NCAA Midwest Regionals.

• All-American honors in 2007 and 2008.
  • Holds the third-best throw in program history.

Men’s basketball

Inductee- Jason Smith

Smith was a dominant seven-footer for CSU in 2005-2007. Smith now spends his time playing for the New Orleans Pelicans — his sixth team in his 12-year career.

• Mountain West Freshman of the Year.
  • First-team all-conference as a sophomore and junior.
  • Drafted in the first round (20th pick) by the Miami Heat.
  • Holds the school record for blocked shots per game.

Football

Inductee- Dexter Wynn

Wynn holds the record for the longest kickoff return for a touchdown and for the single-season kickoff return average. He played in the NFL from 2004-2009.

• Third-team All-American honors in 2000-2003.
  • All-Mountain West team in three seasons.
  • Member of the 2000 and 2002 conference championship teams.
  • Invited to the 2003 East-West Shrine game.

Inductee- 1994 football team

The 10-2 Rams, under second-year coach Sonny Lubick, are the second football team to be inducted and the first team in school history to have a 10-win season. This historic team featured safety Greg Myers, who was named first-team All-American by the Football Writers, Scripps-Howard and Sporting News. Nine others Rams earned all-conference honors. Lubick was named the WAC Coach of the Year and Coach of the Year by Sports Illustrated.

• Upset No. 6 Arizona on the road.
  • Beat No. 22 BYU on the road.
  • Nationally ranked No. 16 in the Associated Press poll to end the season. 
  • First Western Athletic Conference title for CSU.

Women’s swimming

Inductee- Kristen Schneider

Schneider was a dominant swimmer in her career with the Rams. Her career started in 2001 and ended in 2004, leaving her with plenty of time to set numerous records.

• Holds the record for the 200-yard freestyle.
  • Set a record for the 200 individual medley.
  • Set a record for the 100 and 200 backstroke.
  • Earned 25 All-Mountain West honors.
  • Six individual conference titles.
  • Four conference titles on relays.

Women’s basketball

Inductee- Angie Gorton-Nelp

Gorton-Nelp was a major reason for CSU’s Mountain West title run in 2002 and the 2003 conference tournament title. After her collegiate career, Gorton-Nelp played for the Colorado Chill for a season.

• Academic All-Mountain West recognition from 2000-2002.
  • 2002 MW defensive player of the year.
  • All-Mountain West from 2001-2002.
  • All-District in 2002.
  • Kodak honorable mention All-American recognition.
  • Second in program history in steals.
  • Third in career blocks, free throws made and free throw percentage.
  • Fifth in scoring.
  • Eighth in rebounds.

Inductee– 1999 women’s basketball team

The ’99 Rams women’s basketball team makes history as the first women’s team inducted into the University’s Hall of Fame. Coach Tom Collen was named the WAC Pacific Division Coach of the Year. Becky Hammon was named first-team All-WAC honors. Katie Cronin was also named first-team All-WAC honors and was a third-team Kodak All-American. Heather Hannen was named second-team all-conference.

Hammon continues to make history, as she was the first female NBA head coach to win a Summer League title and the second female assistant in the NBA for the San Antonio Spurs.

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire.