Lauren Buchanan named Mountain West Player of the Week after impressive weekend

Colorado State softball earned another Mountain West weekly accolade after going 3-0 at the Colorado State Classic I.

Over the weekend, CSU played their first home games of the season and continued their tear by demolishing Idaho State 16-0, beating Nebraska 12-9 and defeating Stony Brook 9-1 in front of their home crowd.

Senior catcher Lauren Buchanan could do no wrong and earned her first weekly award, MW Player of the Week, for her key contributions in those wins.

Buchanan made the game look easy, finishing the Colorado State Classic I with a staggering .571 batting average, eight RBIs and smashing two home runs, including a grand slam. Buchanan finished with an outstanding 1.571 slugging percentage.

Buchanan had an explosive day at the plate against Idaho State. She knocked a single, a double and cleared the bases with the first grand slam of CSU’s season. She finished the game going 3-3, hitting an astonishing five RBIs and scoring two runs.

In the matchup against Nebraska, Buchanan was still on fire as she finished the game with a 1.000 batting average going 1-1 at the plate. In her first at-bat of the game, Buchanan hit a two-run bomb. She made the pitchers nervous for the remainder of the game, drawing three walks. 

CSU was unable to continue their hot streak on the field, as Colorado weather did not want to cooperate with the team. The remainder of the Classic was canceled due to snow. The team will return for the Colorado State Classic this weekend, beginning play March 8 at 3 p.m. against Wagner College.

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire.