Mostafa Hassan earns 10th career weekly conference award

For the fourth time in his career, Mostafa Hassan has been named the Mountain West Indoor Track & Field Men’s Field Athlete of the Week. 

Senior Mostafa Hassan competes in the weight throw at the CU Open in Boulder on Feb. 3, 2018. Hassan won the event with a throw of 18.87m (61′ 11″). (Jack Starkebaum | Collegian)

The accolade comes after Hassan registered a season-best mark of 19.59 meters in the shot put event. Hassan’s mark ranks first in the Mountain West and eighth in the NCAA. This is Hassan’s 10th career weekly conference honor; he has earned the accolade six other times during the outdoor season.

Hassan is the reigning NCAA Champion in the shot put event and has remained undefeated in this season. In his season debut, Hassan won the event by nearly six-and-a-half feet.

This season, Hassan tested his luck in the weight throw event. In his debut, Hassan threw the weight 18.87 meters. The mark won Hassan the event by over three feet.

Two other Rams have earned player of the week accolades this season. The Rams swept the awards during the first week of competition. Senior Jalen Hunter earned the accolade for Mountain West Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week after running an 8.08 in the 60-meter hurdles at the Air Force Holiday Open. Nick Kravec earned the accolade for Mountain West Men’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week after earning 5,507 points in the heptathlon at the same event.

The Rams will continue their indoor season at the Rocky Mountain Classic in Laramie, Wyo. on Feb. 16 before heading to the Mountain West Championship in Albuquerque, N.M. from Feb 22-24.

Collegian sports reporter Mamadou Balde can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @mamadoubalde62.