CSU track & field shines in final stop before Mountain West Championships

In its last stop before the Mountain West Championships, Colorado State track & field tuned up at the Air Force Open at USAF Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo. last Friday.

Three runners sprint on indoor track
London Evans competes in the CU Open on Saturday, Feb. 3. Evans finished the 60-meter sprint with a time of 7.97. (Megan Daly l Collegian)

In the men’s 60-meters, E’Lias Sutton led the Rams with a time of 6.99. Sutton’s time earned him a fourth-place finish. Nathan Gish had the second-fastest time for the Rams, crossing the finish line at 7.164. Gish’s time was just enough for seventh place. Gish was followed by sophomore Will Domier, who placed eighth. Domier’s time (7.170) was just six milliseconds behind his teammate.

Gish and Domier also competed in the 200 meters where they placed second and sixth, respectively. Gish finished with a time of 22.21 while Domier recorded a 22.72.

Junior Blake Yount torched the competition in the 800-meters with a first-place finish. Yount’s time of 1:52 was more than one second faster than the next collegiate runner. Yount, an Aurora, Colo. native, is a transfer student who last competed at the University of Oklahoma before returning to his home state of Colorado.

“We are very excited to add the Colorado high school 800-meters record holder to our roster,” coach Art Siemers said. “Blake will fill a huge need for the Rams in the 800 and his experience in the Big 12 will be a valuable asset.”

In the women’s 60-meters, London Evans led all collegiate runners with a time of 7.88. Evans’ time earned her second place in the event.

The Rams also secured the top two collegiate times in the women’s 200-meters. Senior Katie Werman finished second with a time of 25.75. Also competing in the 200 was Evans who placed third with a time of 26.19. Michelle Gould and Krista Mayer led the Rams in the women’s 400-meters, finishing second and third, respectively. 

The Rams’ next stop is the Mountain West Championships in Albuquerque, N.M. where they will try to repeat as Mountain West Champions. The MW Championships will take place from Feb. 22-24. 

Collegian sports reporter Mamadou Balde can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @mamadoubalde62.