Rams lap Mavericks in first swim meet of the year

The Colorado State women’s swimming and diving team opened their season in style over the weekend, as they dominated on the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks Friday night.

The win marked their first of the season, as the Rams got off to a fast start early and kept the momentum throughout the entirety of the meet, finishing first in 13 of 14 races.

The Rams were led by senior Jenna Beaury, who finished first in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke with times of 1:06.67 and 2:25.12 respectively. Beaury also finished first in the 200 medley relay along with Haley Rowley, Karin Roh, and Katie Kickloghter.

The Rams also had success on the diving board, with sophomore Nicole Sisco, winning the three-meter diving event with a combined score of 245.10. Fellow sophomore Flori Witenstein finished second in both the three-meter and one-meter event.

“The energy was high, there was a lot of support,” CSU head coach Christopher Woodard said about the event. “I saw kids racing and attacking their races early, which is important.”

The Rams have a tough test as they travel to Denver to battle one of the best teams in the nation in the University of Denver Pioneers. CSU will return home to Moby arena Friday, Oct. 28 against the University of Idaho Vandals.

Collegian sports reporter Tyler Johnson can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com