Ryder completes CSU sweep of MW weekly awards

CSU guard Gritt Ryder was named the Mountain West women's basketball player of the week Monday.
CSU guard Gritt Ryder was named the Mountain West women’s basketball player of the week Monday.

Colorado State women’s basketball player Gritt Ryder has been named the Mountain West Player of the Week following Sunday’s game against Illinois State. 

After missing Tuesday’s game vs. Colorado School of Mines due to a foot injury, Ryder came in off the bench during Sunday’s game vs. Illinois State. She led the team to erase what was an 11-point deficit en route to a 70-49 win over the Redbirds.

The Danish guard scored a game-high 22 points, burying a career-high six three-pointers. Ryder shot .750 from beyond the arc.

“It was really nice, especially because I haven’t practiced all week and I was nervous,” Ryder said after the game. “I didn’t know how I would perform; of course it’s always nice to have a good shooting day.”

The victory boosted the Rams (2-1) into a tie for second place in the conference standings with Boise State and Fresno State. CSU was one of three schools to finish the week blemish free, joining Wyoming and Utah State.

This is Ryder’s first career weekly award. She is the first Ram to earn the honor since Sam Martin on Dec. 9, 2013.

Collegian Sports Editor Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope.