Editor’s pick: Top 30 photos, first half of spring 2020

Dear viewers, 

The Rocky Mountain Collegian photo desk has been working hard this semester to provide quality content for the print editions, digital articles and social media. As we move into a more digitally-focused era, visuals have become increasingly important in informing and illustrating current events.

With spring break being extended and classes moving online for the time being, our photographers plan on continuing coverage of the Northern Colorado and Colorado State University communities. 

This gallery celebrates the work of The Collegian’s photojournalists from winter break to spring break, selected by Photo Director Matt Tackett, Photo Editor Anna von Pechmann and Assistant Photo Editor Luke Bourland. If you haven’t seen “Editor’s pick: Top 50 photos of the fall semester,” click here

• Murder by Death cellist Sarah Balliet plays at Washington’s March 5. The band changed their set list every night of their 20th anniversary tour. (Megan McGregor | The Collegian)

• Benjamin Basow, a graduate student in economics, works on an assignment in his office at Colorado State University. Ben, as he is commonly called, is a first-year Ph.D. student in the department of economics at CSU. “It helps me in my test preparations and constantly reexposes me to the relevant study material,” Basow said, talking about the array of notes on his wall. “And it feels comfortable being around things which are familiar.” (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

• Sushi rolls at JAWS Sushi located at 1205 W. Elizabeth St. in March. (Brooke Buchan | The Collegian)

Collegian | Brooke Buchan 2019
  • Nadia Parriott plays in a pinball tournament at Pinball Jones in Old Town Feb. 23. Parriott has been playing pinball for almost 2 1/2 years, her favorite machine being either Bonzai Run or Elvira’s House of Horrors. Parriott originally is from New York City, coming to Fort Collins for “art and love,” the latter playing a bigger part, she says. Now she and her husband reside in Fort Collins, hoping to move to Golden, Colorado, to be closer to the mountains. (Luke Bourland | The Collegian)

• University of New Mexico basketball player Keith McGee dunks the ball on March 4. New Mexico took a 79-66 victory over San Jose. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University economics professor and CSU Faculty Council member Steven Shulman sits at a CSU Faculty Council meeting to discuss faculty, finances and University resource concerns. Shulman wrote and proposed a resolution to cut athletic spending at CSU. (Nathan Tran | The Collegian)

• Former Colorado State University softball player Corina Gamboa (2) hits the game-winning home run versus Purdue University during the Colorado State Classic tournament on March 8, 2020. CSU won 4-3.

Collegian | Devin Cornelius
  • Colorado State University students perform the Indonesian Saureka Reka Dance at the World Talent Show in the Lory Student Center Theatre during the 66th World Unity Fair on March 1. The group won the award for the best performance in the World Talent Show. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

• Ryan Montagne, a master’s student for professional science in bio manufacturing and biotechnology, gives blood in the Morgan Library Jan. 30. Montagne participated in the blood drive, put on by Vitalant, because he and his friends believed it was a worthy thing to do for others. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

• Associated Students of Colorado State University Chief Justice Claire Fenton and ASCSU Deputy Chief Justice Chloe Harp-Rasmussen present a new senator removal procedure Feb. 26. (Nathan Tran | The Collegian)

• Malik Burton speaks before the start of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march from the Old Town Square to the Lory Student Center Jan. 20. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• A young Colorado State University fan sitting courtside dances with the Golden Poms during the CSU men’s basketball game against San Jose State Feb. 22. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

• Director John Barnhardt (middle) talks to crew members while they prepare for the next scene of his short film “Chords” on Thursday, Jan. 9. Filming for the short film took place over multiple days and locations around Fort Collins, including Lucky Joe’s Sidewalk Saloon and the Colorado State University campus. (Skyler Pradhan | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University senior track and field athlete Ali Kallner toes the line of the 3,000-meter race at the Iowa State Classic Indoor track meet on Jan. 15. Kallner went on to break the Colorado State Indoor record running a time of 9:26.93. (Matt Begeman | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University volleyball setter Katie Oleksak and swimmer Maddie Ward both won the 2019 Colorado Sportswomen of the Year award. Oleksak is a three-time holder of the Mountain West Player of the Year, and Ward holds the CSU 100-yard breaststroke record. (Photo Illustration by Brooke Buchan, Matt Begeman & Rachel Macias | The Collegian)

• Fort Collins resident Bradey Monroe, 20, attempts an indy grab at Edora Skatepark. Monroe started skateboarding a 1 1/2 years ago when he started working as a contractor, and his co-workers, who all skateboard, made him interested in the sport. “It’s the reward of landing those tricks,” Monroe said. “Like I said, it’s that mind game. You have to really tell yourself to get it, and then when you actually do get it, it’s that feeling. It’s kind of surreal…you just can’t describe it.” (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

• A Fort Collins Police Services investigator places markers on the scene of a car and motorcycle collision at the intersection of Prospect Road and Whitcomb Street Feb. 18. (Matt Tackett | The Collegian)

• Colorado State forward Kyle Reilly passes the puck to a teammate Feb. 21. The Rams took a 2-1 win over the University of Colorado Boulder Buffaloes. (Gregory James | The Collegian)

• A cowgirl rides along the edge of the arena at the National Western Stock Show to mark the beginning of the rodeo Jan. 11. (Pratyoosh Kashyap | The Collegian)

• Associated Students of Colorado State University senators hand in votes during their meeting on March 4. (Ian Fuster | The Collegian)

• Hanggatu Abdullahi shows off her box braids following the United Women of Color Hair Show in the Lory Student Center Theatre Feb. 9. Abdullahi traveled from the University of Northern Colorado to watch the show and support her friends who were competing. (Forrest Czarnecki | The Collegian)

Collegian | Forrest Czarnecki
  • Colorado State University students and community members skate at the synthetic ice rink on the plaza during the Rams on the Ice Black History Month event hosted by the Associated Students of Colorado State University and the Black/African American Cultural Center Feb. 13. (Gaby Arregoces | The Collegian)

• Tori Williams runs on to the court after her name is called for the starting line up for Colorado State University Feb. 15. The CSU women’s basketball team took on the University of Wyoming at Moby Arena, with the rams losing 43-40. (Asia Kalcevic | The Collegian)

• Participants of the Polar Bear Plunge high five Larimer County Dive Rescue Team members as they dive into the partially frozen Horsetooth Reservoir Jan. 25. The plunge took place after a 5k run along the reservoir. (Devin Cornelius | The Collegian)

Collegian | Devin Cornelius
  • Colorado State University student Kyndall Thompson adds some finishing touches to her newly constructed snowman. Thompson is an art education major and stopped to build her snowman on campus outside Braiden Hall before heading to class Feb. 6. (Anna Montesanti | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University freshman basketball player David Roddy (21) intercepts a pass between San Jose State players during a game in Moby Arena, Feb. 22. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

• The Rescued Friends Animal Sanctuary provides a second chance for many types of animals, Jan. 27. (Addie Kuettner | The Collegian)

• Kendle Moore (3) and Nico Carvacho (32) attempt to block a Fresno State player as he attempts a layup during the Colorado State game vs Fresno State Jan. 22. CSU won 86-68. (Devin Cornelius | The Collegian)

Collegian | Devin Cornelius
  • Fort Collins resident Josh Hanlon winds up to throw a Frisbee for his dog at City Park Jan. 22. Hanlon and his 6.5-year-old dog, Sir Charles Barrington III, nicknamed Charlie Bear, come to the park every day to play. “There’s no (Charles Barrington) first or second; there’ll probably be a fourth though,” Hanlon said. (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

• Kelsey Feng plays the Chinese zither at the Visual Showcase of International Activities Feb. 27. Feng is a student from China who is at Colorado State University for a year teaching Chinese and the Chinese zither. She began playing this 21-stringed instrument, also called a guzheng, when she was 5 years old. She wears picks on her fingers while playing a traditional Chinese song. The showcase was one of the many sessions in the CSU International Symposium, which took place between Feb. 25-27. (Addie Kuettner | The Collegian)

Matt Tackett, Anna von Pechmann and Luke Bourland can be reached at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @CSUCollegian.