I-25 roadwork: ‘Short term inconvenience,’ ‘greatly needed’

CDOT Detour Route
Eastbound Prospect Road at I-25 detour route (Image from CDOT)
CDOT Detour Route
Westbound Prospect Road at I-25 detour route (Image from CDOT)
CDOT Detour Route
Detour route for full weekend closure of Prospect Road and I-25 on and off-ramps (Image from CDOT)
CDOT detour route
Full closure of northbound and southbound I-25 at Prospect Road (Image from CDOT)

It may seem as though the ongoing construction along I-25 has lasted for eternities, but an upcoming set of closures is happening a little bit closer to home.

Construction on the Prospect Road/I-25 interchange will cause nightly closures during October 2019 and an entirety of an undetermined weekend in early 2020, and it may affect Colorado State University and Fort Collins commuters.

Madelein Lopez, web and technology development coordinator within the department of microbiology, immunology and pathology at CSU, said the current I-25 construction already adds 10-15 minutes to her morning commute from Timnath, Colorado. 

“I’ve tried alternate routes, but those aren’t faster,” Lopez said. “It is a short term inconvenience, but an expanded I-25/Prospect Bridge is greatly needed.”

The main road closures will take place from Oct. 8 to Oct. 10 and on Oct. 13, said Jared Fiel, Colorado Department of Transportation communication manager of Region 4 that includes Weld and Larimer counties. 

From 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Oct. 8 and 9, there will be a full closure of northbound and southbound I-25 as well as a full closure of eastbound and westbound Prospect Road between the I-25 ramps, according to CDOT. Northbound and southbound I-25 will also be closed at Prospect Road from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Oct. 10 and 13.

“We really want (the construction crews) to go home safe every night, just like we want all the drivers to go home safe every night.” -Jared Fiel, Colorado Department of Transportation Communication Manager, Region 4

Sometime in early 2020, there will be a weekend closure of the northbound and southbound I-25 on and off ramps at Prospect Road. Eastbound and westbound Prospect Road will also be closed between the frontage roads.

Changes from the current bridge include one additional lane in each direction as well as a center turning lane, bike lane and a sidewalk. Drivers may still use the current bridge while construction on the new bridge begins.

“We really want (the construction crews) to go home safe every night, just like we want all the drivers to go home safe every night,” Fiel said. “It is on the drivers who really need to slow down and pay attention to what’s going on.” 

Part of the I-25 North Express Lanes project, the new Prospect Bridge is one of CDOT’s many plans for the next few years. More information on the project can be found on CDOT’s website.

Joey Wagner can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @joeyleewagner.