RHA passes funding for WGAC event, Corbett Hall t-shirts

Residence Hall Association passed two funding bills Monday evening. One bill was to fund an upcoming Women Gender Advocacy Center event and the other was a funding bill to fund Corbett Hall’s 3rd Annual T-Shirt Design Contest.

The first bill RHA voted on was a funding bill to fund an upcoming event hosted by the WGAC. The event plans to create a sex-positive space that teaches consent to students via a variety of games. They need the money to buy t-shirts, tie-dye equipment and food for the event.

In a 23-0-0 vote, RHA voted in favor of the funding bill. This means they will be able to fund the event, and Kyra Ferguson, president of RHA, said the event will allow students to learn about the importance of consent.

“It’s really important in the residence halls especially because they are freshman that they learn about the importance of consent. It’s usually overlooked and it’s not talked about in a regular context,” Ferguson said. “It’s important that we address consent within this space and within this manner so that it becomes more normalized.”

Jordan Tehila, president of National Residence Hall Honorary, also said this event gives students the ability to learn about consent in a fun and memorable way.

“I think it’s really eye-opening and it also does it in a really fun format, so I feel like it’s a very memorable event,” Tehila said. “It sticks around with people.”  

I think it’s really eye-opening and it also does it in a really fun format, so I feel like it’s a very memorable event. It sticks around with people. 

– Jordan Tehila, president of National Residence Hall Honorary

The second item RHA voted on was a funding bill to fund Corbett Hall’s 3rd Annual T-Shirt Design Contest. The event allows Corbett residents to submit t-shirt designs. Corbett residents then get to vote on which one they like best. They need the funding to purchase the shirts and then print them for Corbett residence.

RHA passed the bill in a 23-0 vote, which will allow for the coordinators of the event to buy and print the t-shirts.

Ferguson said passing the funding bill was important because it helps to provide a sense of community within Corbett Hall.

“(Corbett) is a really big group and it’s really spread out, so they don’t necessarily have the opportunities to meet each other and interact like many of the other halls do,” Ferguson said. “Those bills are really important because it provides to that community, while also giving a sense of continuity in RHA and in hall council.”