CSU to host International Colloquium on global food security and sustainability

Ethical issues and food-animal agriculture, innovations for sustainable food productions and water management are a few topics that will be covered at the International Colloquium on global food security and sustainability on Nov. 29-30.

The event, hosted by Colorado State University, will feature eight panel sessions where experts will exchange ideas on a variety of topics and issues. All panels are free and open to the public.

Tuesday

A panel on innovative business models for local food security will explore how local, regional and international entrepreneurs are addressing localized food security issues. It will be held in the Cherokee Park Ballroom from 1-2:30 p.m. The organizer will be Kat Ernst, program manager of global social and sustainable MBA at CSU.

A panel on ethical issues and the food-animal agriculture debate will discuss the welfare of animals in confinement agriculture from 1-12:30 p.m. in Grey Rock. Some issues to be discussed include the excessive use of antibiotics in food, animals and the development of antibiotic resistance. The organizer will be Bernard Rollin, professor of philosophy, biomedical sciences and animal sciences.

A panel on innovations for sustainable food production will talk about how new technologies and innovation are driving rapid improvements in agricultural productivity and efficiency. It will be held in the Cherokee Park Ballroom from 3-4:30 p.m. The organizer will be Matthew Wallenstein, an associate professor of ecosystem science and sustainability.

The panel on the importance of linking agriculture production and food security will talk about nutritional importance and the health environment in agriculture. It will be held in Grey Rock from 3-4:30 p.m. The organizer of this panel is Jessica Davis, department head of horticulture and landscape architecture.

The session on technology and improving water management will be held at 3-4:30 p.m. in room 382 of the Lory Student Center. It will examine the different levels of technology that can be used in developed and developing countries to contribute to global food security. The organizer is Allan Andales, associate professor of irrigation and water science.

Wednesday

A session on agriculture, climate change and food security will address the questions of how climate change is affecting food security. It will be held in the Cherokee Park Ballroom from 1-2:30 p.m. The organizer is Peter Backlund, associate director for the school of global environmental sustainability.

The panel on food systems will highlight the approaches that connect food production access, human health and nutrition. It will be held in Grey Rock from 1-2:30 p.m. The organizer will be Meagan Schipanski, assistant professor of soil and crop sciences.

The panel on global nutrition remedies will be held in Grey Rock from 3-4:30 p.m. It will discuss the chain of activities from lab to delivery to impact research along with the related topic of program evaluation. It will be held in Grey Rock from 3-4:30 p.m. The organizer is David Sampson, associate professor of food science and human nutrition.

More information can be found on the CSU

page.

Collegian reporter can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @rachbethsaurer.