SLiCE, HPI, and the Murphy Center of Hope to host events for homelessness prevention month

As the months get colder, the homeless population has more need for resources to live their lives comfortably. Colorado State University’s SLiCE office,the Murphy Center for Hope and the Homelessness Prevention Initiative are working together on a community-wide campaign to end homelessness in Fort Collins. The events are part of homelessness awareness and action month in November.

This is the first time the three organizations have partnered together for the campaign.

“The hope is to create a sustainable movement such that every November, we can come together around this issue, until homelessness no longer exists in our community,” Michael Pupiales and Pamela Norris wrote in an email to the Collegian.

During the course of November, SLiCE, HPI, and the Murphy Center of Hope will combine their efforts and host events and activities around CSU that the community can take part in.

The events include conversations about veterans who experience homelessness, intersectional feminism and homelessness and policies that affect poverty and homelessness.

At the end of the project, the Murphy Center for Hope and HPI will hold two community events in Fort Collins to help bring the month to a close.

On December 3, the Murphy Center will host the “Mission to Hope” walk. The walk will take place spanning the stretch of N. College from the Catholic Charities Mission to the Murphy Center.

According to SLiCE, the Mission to Hope walk raises awareness for those who experience homelessness.

That same night, HPI will host their annual sleep out with help from Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ. The event aims to raise awareness and funding to support HPI’s mission of keeping people in housing during times of crisis.

For more information about the events visit the SLiCE facebook page. More information about HPI can be found at www.homelessnessprevention.net

Collegian Reporter Allec Brust can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Brustyyy.