$2.5 million campus garden planned next to stadium

The new Heritage Garden will replace the Perennial Gardens located west of the new on campus stadium and south of the new practice field.

Heritage Garden 3
The new Heritage Garden is currently in construction next to the stadium (Christian Johnson l Collegian) Photo credit: Christian Johnson

The Perennial Garden has been moved to the University Center for the Arts to make room for the newly planned Heritage Garden.

The Agriculture Heritage Garden is still in its planning stages, but according to the project plans, the garden will have many trees and a few paths that will lead to the stadium or through the garden. Also, a pavilion is planned to look similar to the architecture of the buildings found on CSU’s Old Main.

“The Heritage Garden is envisioned as an area that will celebrate and demonstrate CSU’s agricultural heritage, as well as providing a gateway to the existing arboretum,” stated CSU’s Facilities Management Department on the written project plan.

The garden will be 1.2 acres. It is scheduled to be completed by fall 2017.

The project plan for the Heritage Garden and the new practice field states the projects could cost from about $2.5 million to $4 million, and will be paid for by donations or remaining funds that are not needed for the stadium.

The garden will incorporate the existing arboretum, according to USA Today. The arboretum is a collection of trees that have been on campus for 35 years.

The Heritage garden will connect CSU to the agriculture found in Colorado, said Ajay Menon, dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences in a SOURCE article.

The new practice field will be north of the Heritage garden. It will be made with artificial turf. The practice field will be a football field and a half long.

The current football practice field near Moby Arena is projected to be used to expand other athletic departments on campus.

Collegian reporter Katie Linenberger or on Twitter @klinen15.