Weekly Crime Update

Monday, August 29: Body found in ditch near College Avenue

At 9 a.m. on August 29, a man was found dead in a ditch just off of College Avenue, about a mile and a half north of campus. The body was seen laying in James Ames ditch next to Woodlawn drive.

Police arrived on the scene shortly after it was reported and the incident is still under investigation.

The name of victim and cause of death has not yet been released. The police do not suspect foul play at this time.

Thursday, Sept. 1: Motorcyclist dies after colliding with road sign

A female motorcyclist died Thursday after colliding with a road sign due to high speed.

Just after midnight, police were notified of a collision at the intersection of Timberline road and Mountain Vista Drive. The driver of a Yamaha motorcycle had been traveling at high speeds when she did not stop at a stop sign and then collided with a sign off the north side of the road.

The driver was transported to Medical Center of the Rockies with critical injuries where she later died. Her name will be released upon notifying the family.

The incident is under investigation. The intersection at Timberline Road and Mountain Vista Drive is now open.

Saturday Sept. 3: Man arrested after on-foot pursuit, attempting to take taser, sticking paramedic with needle

A transient man was arrested for four counts of felony second-degree assault after causing a disturbance at a Fort Collins shop Saturday afternoon near Harmony Road.

At 3:30 p.m., officers responded to a call after Anthony Gaona allegedly became “verbally abusive” towards one of the employees. According to the report, Gaona went into the store and asked for a lighter, and the employee said they did not have one.

When officers arrived they found Gaona sitting by a creek behind the shop. The officers and man engaged in a quick on-foot pursuit. When the officers contacted the suspect, he reportedly tried to take the officers’ taser. Gaona was reportedly under the influence of a substance.

Gaona was then transported by ambulance and reportedly spat on an officer’s face and stuck an EMS paramedic with a needle.

Gaona faces charges of four counts of felony second-degree assault as well as one count of disorderly conduct.

Gaona was also charged with a single — and rarely cited — count of disorderly conduct for the use of offensive language.

Bond for this case is set at $10,000 and Gaona will be due in court next Thursday.

Collegian reporter Allec Brust can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Brustyyy.