UPDATE: pedestrian hit by car Nov. 2 “getting a lot better” at Loveland hospital

Update 4:03 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11:

According to Chris Grant, Kristen Grant’s father, she is “getting a lot better and making steady progress” at the Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland.

Kristen Grant is now out of the ICU after spending a week there with a fractured ankle, various fractures around her left eye socket and head trauma, her father said.

She will soon be transferred to Craig Hospital in Denver for therapy.

Update 6:03 p.m. Thursday:

Grant was listed in good condition at the Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland Thursday night, hospital spokesperson Kelly Tracer said.

Police said there is no update as to the color of the traffic light during the accident or any possible charges. 

Update 8:17 p.m. Monday: 

Fort Collins Police Services was alerted to the car versus pedestrian accident at approximately 4:05 p.m. Monday, Nov. 2, according to a press release.

The pedestrian, identified as Kristen Grant, 24, was walking northbound on the crosswalk on the east side of the intersection when a red 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche hit her while heading west on Elizabeth Street.

Fort Collins Police investigates the scene where a pedestrian was hit off of Elizebeth and City Park on Monday. Photo by Ryan Arb
Fort Collins Police investigates the scene where a pedestrian was hit at the intersection of West Elizabeth Street and City Park Avenue Monday. (Photo credit: Ryan Arb.)

Wyatt McLaughlin, 56, was driving the Chevrolet Avalanche and was uninjured. Grant was seriously injured and sent to the Medical Center of the Rockies.

Investigators are still determining the color of the traffic lights at the time of the accident.

The intersection of Elizabeth Street. and City Park Avenue was closed for approximately four hours while police processed the scene. 

Alcohol or speed are not believed to have contributed to the accident, according to the press release. 

The press release did not disclose Grant’s condition.

Police are still investigating and charges are pending.

Police asked that anyone with information about the accident, who has not already given a statement to the police, contact Officer Tim Brennan at (970) 221-6555.

Original:

A female pedestrian was hit by car traveling on West Elizabeth Street while she crossed a crosswalk at the intersection of City Park Avenue around 4 p.m. Monday. 

Officer David Keas of the FCPD interviews a witness after the accident on the intersection at Elizebeth and City Park on Monday. Photo by Ryan Arb
Officer David Keas of FCPS interviews a witness after the accident on the intersection of West Elizabeth Street and City Park Avenue Monday. (Photo credit: Ryan Arb.)

According to witness Lettia Wilson, the pedestrian was walking her dog when she attempted to cross the road just as the light turned green and a red Chevrolet Avalanche hit her in the intersection.

Another witness said that the man who hit the woman was holding her and crying.

The woman was taken to Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland with serious injuries, Fort Collins Police Services spokeswoman Kate Kimble said. The current condition of the woman is unknown.

The crash is currently under investigation. Kimble said more information will be available late Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

Collegian Reporter Julia Rentsch and Breaking News Editor Sady Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com.